• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Torn between Kentucky rifle and Pennsylvania

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preflint

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Having all but given up my hunt for a wheelock, I'm am looking at a Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifle. Years ago I had a TC Pennsylvania match rifle, but I entrusted it to my father for safekeeping as I moved fairly often, and the barrel is now a lost cause.

I'm at a loss at who makes the best of either type that's commercially available.Any thoughts?

Cost wise( if I want my wife to agree lol) most likely factory made. Would love to find one at least 65 inches in length, but don't think I will with factory made guns.

My Pennsylvania is a Pedersoli, I bought it around 18 years ago. I won't say it's 'the best' because that's a matter of opinion, but it's a great shooter and I've been happy with it since the day I bought it.

The modern manufacturers that make mass-produced guns have settled on those terms to differentiate between longer and shorter ones. The Penn is typically around 6" or so longer than the KY.

Preflint said:
Years ago I had a TC Pennsylvania match rifle,
The TC Pennsylvania is based off the TC Renegade frame with a 1/2 Octagon to round barrel,, what made it the "Penn match rifle" was the 1-66 twist and of course being a rock tosser.
That stock can't be compared to any standard Pennsylvania or Kentucky styled rifle as we commonly know. It was made to fill the nitch Pennsylvania early primitive season and is of a more modern design.
That doesn't make it bad, I love the Renegades,,
The barrel may be rusted out but that doesn't mean it's toast, for around $100 you can send the barrel out and have it re-bored to the next caliber.

necchi said:
Preflint said:
Years ago I had a TC Pennsylvania match rifle,
The TC Pennsylvania is based off the TC Renegade frame with a 1/2 Octagon to round barrel,, what made it the "Penn match rifle" was the 1-66 twist and of course being a rock tosser.
That stock can't be compared to any standard Pennsylvania or Kentucky styled rifle as we commonly know. It was made to fill the nitch Pennsylvania early primitive season and is of a more modern design.
That doesn't make it bad, I love the Renegades,,
The barrel may be rusted out but that doesn't mean it's toast, for around $100 you can send the barrel out and have it re-bored to the next caliber.

Never knew that it was based off the renegade, my dad bought it for me when I was 12. Would I need to send it out to TC or should a local gunsmith be able to rebore it?

Also dumb question, what was the average barrel length of the American long rifle?

Contact this guy;
Robert Hoyt
2379 Mt Hope Rd
Fairfield, PA 17320-9756

phone number 717-642-6696

He does a top notch job, and can answer questions, you have to keep trying if you call, he's a busy guy.
I under stand a re-bore is up around 140 now that includes return shipping

Preflint said:
Never knew that it was based off the renegade, my dad bought it for me when I was 12. Would I need to send it out to TC or should a local gunsmith be able to rebore it?
You can't send it to TC.

They were bought by Smith & Wesson and they no longer support the tens of thousands of TC guns the old company sold.

There are several places that will rebore and rifle your damaged barrel.

They do an excellent job and the cost is not too great.

I'm sure some of our members will be happy to post some names of the barrel makers they like here.

Zonie said:
Preflint said:
You can't send it to TC.

They were bought by Smith & Wesson and they no longer support the tens of thousands of TC guns the old company sold.

There are several places that will rebore and rifle your damaged barrel.

They do an excellent job and the cost is not too great.

I'm sure some of our members will be happy to post some names of the barrel makers they like here.

Sad to hear TC was bought out, shame as they had some great guns back in the day.

One of the guys who rebore and re-rifle barrels is Bobby Hoyt.
I picked up this phone number on another web site and it is a couple of years old but it's worth a try: # 717-642-6696

Another post on a different forum says he moved and his new address is 2379 Mt Hope Rd instead of 700 Fairfield Station Rd., Fairfield, Pa.

As for TC, they stopped making sidelock rifles a few years before they were bought out.
During this period of time, they still honored their commitment to repair the guns they sold but S%W messed that up. :(

Just got a barrel back from Bobby Holt. He did a great job on it.

Give him a call about 7:30am and send your barrel to him. Don't be afraid to have it bored to an odd caliber. You can always find balls or a mold that will work. For example, a .50 cal. Might be reamed to a .52 cal, or .53 cal. He only needs to remove the old rifling and rust pits.

TC repaired my 50 Hawken about 6 month ago. Call and ask, you never know. BTW the repair was done at no charge and they paid return shipping.

I had the same experience. When I had to replace a broken frizzen on a T/C "Hawken" that I inherited, I found myself talking to Smith and Wesson. I was the original purchaser of the rifle in the 1970's and had given it as a gift to a family member who had passed away. This was 2 yrs ago,not currently but the very nice lady I spoke to told me they were still honoring the T/C warranties.
She emailed a shipping label to me, I boxed up the lock, sent it in on Monday and had a new lock back before the end of the week. Always happy to pass on a good experience with any of the suppliers to our unique sport. :hatsoff:

I love my Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock in. 50 calibre. It's just a joy to carry and shoot.

Latest posts

Back