• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Top touchhole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would there be a benefit to having the touch hole further forward? My rudimentary understanding is a touch hole further forward would burn the powder more completely and less energy would be wasted pushing un burnt powder down the barrel.

My rudimentary understanding is a touch hole further forward would burn the powder more completely and less energy would be wasted pushing un burnt powder down the barrel.
If that were indeed the case ... THs on other fire locks would be far more forward than they are, and they are not. I also don't get the part about 'less energy wasted' ...

If that were indeed the case ... THs on other fire locks would be far more forward than they are, and they are not. I also don't get the part about 'less energy wasted' ...
If you burn back to front, doesn’t the powder igniting at the back, start pushing all the unburnt powder forward, so there is more recoil and a higher probability of powder remaining unburnt?

This is only really based on reading I did on the Dreyse cartridge and why they put the percussion cap at the front of the powder (behind the bullet), so I could be completely misunderstanding how this works.

Sorry moderator that this is technically out of scope, but this is what I am basing it off of:
IMG_0045.png

Last edited:
I state 'BS' on that ... as likely the inventor of the Dreyse only wrote it that way for patent protection, LOL!

And whether the charge ignites at the back or a bit more forward, if already fired ... both conditions have unburnt powdah in the barrel, duh ...

I state 'BS' on that ... as likely the inventor of the Dreyse only wrote it that way for patent protection, LOL!

And whether the charge ignites at the back or a bit more forward, if already fired ... both conditions have unburnt powdah in the barrel, duh ...
Yeah good point, and the whole “equal and opposite reaction” part of physics lol.

Back