• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Top touchhole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I see pics, unfortunatley none clear & closeup, of some matchlock guns with no priming cup & touchholes on the side of the barrel, but located on top of the barrel. My question is... How should the touchhole be made? Simply a tapered hole to contain a priming charge? No cover? Thanks.

It read here I think, that some handgonnes had the priming powder mixed with a gum like substance to congeal it so it could be pressed into a cone shaped touchhole and stay put. My own handgonne has a cone shaped hole for priming. I sometimes use the very historical (not) method of keeping the priming in place with …… scotch tape! The match burns through it, but it may delay the boom.

No need to overthink it. A large diameter 90-degree countersink, like used to install White Lightning touch hole liners, would do it. Note - use a 90, not an 82, which is the standard size C'Sink.

I can take pictures of the THs on my Tannenberg hand gonne circa late 1300s and an early 1400s Hakenbucshe, if those would help you! Let me know ...

The rifle shop hackenbusche has a hole straight down and a counter sink.
IMG_8433.jpeg

Hi Flint

Is the bore straight cylinder bore ? No funny business at the breech LOL ? How far does the bore go behind the vent hole ? Thanks.

Rick
Do you mean mine or Dale’s brass handgonne?

I need to double check mine when I’m back in Virginia, but I am 90% sure it ends only a bit behind the touch hole and the rest is machined decoration to look like an original.

When cleaning it during building, I remember the bore being even the entire way down, without a sub powder chamber. It was a year ago now, so I could be misremembering

Do you mean mine or Dale’s brass handgonne?

I need to double check mine when I’m back in Virginia, but I am 90% sure it ends only a bit behind the touch hole and the rest is machined decoration to look like an original.

When cleaning it during building, I remember the bore being even the entire way down, without a sub powder chamber. It was a year ago now, so I could be misremembering
Wooops. I should have been more clear. I meant Your's, Tob. When you re-check the bore, let me know about how far the end of the breech goes behind the vent hole. Did the barrel come already vented ? I'm thinking of using this barrel in a project. Thanks.

Rick

Wooops. I should have been more clear. I meant Your's, Tob. When you re-check the bore, let me know about how far the end of the breech goes behind the vent hole. Did the barrel come already vented ? I'm thinking of using this barrel in a project. Thanks.

Rick
Will do. It was already drilled and ready to go.

Hi Flint

Is the bore straight cylinder bore ? No funny business at the breech LOL ? How far does the bore go behind the vent hole ? Thanks.

Rick
I am back in the commonwealth and took a look at my handgonne.

The barrel depth is a hair under 7 inches and the vent hole is up against the very back of it. I was also able to confirm that the bore is a straight cylinder.

Back