• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Took the PLUNGE! Need .54 data?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark davidson

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, thanks to all for the info. and advice and patience in the last couple of weeks. I took the plunge and have a new rifle in .54 caliber. Twist is 1:72 and barrel is 42". I need PRB loads and data to get started with. I have both locks, percussion and flintlock. I will probably start with percussion to work up an accurate load. What size and brand balls do I need and what kind of patch and thickness and what kind of powder and how much. I am looking for top notch accuracy at 100 yards. Please help me get started on this great quest and thanks again for the help getting me this far.

Congrats!

I use .530" cast round balls, 0.017 to 0.018" cotton tick patching, my own homemade lubes (click here for recipes) and 84 gr of 3Fg Goex powder in my flintlock (1:66" twist). A similar load but with 90 gr 2Fg Goex in my cap rifle (1:48" twist).

You'll have to experiment some with patching, lubes and powder volume to find exactly what works best for any given rifle. All part of the fun. Note that the slower the twist generally the faster you have to push a round ball to get accuracy. I can shoot one hole groups at 50 yards with my .54 1:48" twist T/C Renegade with 42 gr Goex squirrel loads. But that ain't much help for a deer hunting load. Your 1:72" twist may like a beefier powder load than I listed . . . or maybe not. They're all and we're all a little different.

Tc Hawkens with a 1-48 twist and 54 cal shoot pretty well with 90-100 grains of powder and a 530 dia ball and 15 thousands patch.

My new toy is a custom rifle with I think a GM barrel in 1:72. I know that balls in .530 and .535 are both options and pillow ticking in .015 or .018 or maybe even thicker. I just need to know what maybe some of you guys are already using with similar guns to get good accuracy. 70 to 90 grains of powder is pretty standard but I have heard that .54s may like a little more like maybe 100 to 110 grains. I will likely deer hunt and target shoot with the same load. I also would like to know what powder to start with 2f, 3f, or 4f for best speed and accuracy and how much of each. I do not have a manual so for now I must rely on you all and trial and error. Please suggest what combo you think will be a good starting place. Thanks in advance.This place has been a great source of help!

markd said:
My new toy is a custom rifle with I think a GM barrel in 1:72. I know that balls in .530 and .535 are both options and pillow ticking in .015 or .018 or maybe even thicker.

Try both combinations and others. Each rifle is different even with the same brand barrel. Work up the load to see where you are getting the best groups. I have a .58 with a GM barrel and it will shoot a .562 with a .034 denim patch. It will also shoot a .570 with a .020 patch just as well.

markd said:
I just need to know what maybe some of you guys are already using with similar guns to get good accuracy. 70 to 90 grains of powder is pretty standard but I have heard that .54s may like a little more like maybe 100 to 110 grains. I will likely deer hunt and target shoot with the same load.

I shoot 50 grains of 3F in my .53 for 25 and 50 yards. This is a tack driving target load. For hunting and 100 yard target, I use 80 grains of 3F. This load will drop an elk so should be enough for deer.

markd said:
I also would like to know what powder to start with 2f, 3f, or 4f for best speed and accuracy and how much of each. ...

I use 3F in everything from .32 to .58. It keeps life simpler. The only thing I use 2F in is my shotgun.

Mike, Thanks. It sounds like about 80grains of 3F might be a good place to start experimenting. Do you think .530 or .535 will end up shooting better and what thickness of patch for each? I know I must experiment and I look forward to it but I would like to trim the learning curve as much as possible and get a load to shoot well so I can hunt with my new obsession the rest of this hunting season.

markd said:
My new toy is a custom rifle with I think a GM barrel in 1:72. I also would like to know what powder to start with 2f, 3f, or 4f
So who made the rifle any pics?

Regarding 4f powder. NOT designed to be used as a main charge!!!! Strickly for priming flintlocks.

From what I know of it:

.535 balls seem to work a little better.

Tight loads seem to work a little better.

FFF seems to work a little better.

85 gr fff seems to be the sweet spot.

All that being said, don't run out and buy to much stuff and get all confused.

I would start with fff

I would start with .535 balls.

I would start with 70 gr fff

I would start with pre-lubed patches get some .010,some.015,some,020.

While you are buying your patches get some un-lubed ones of the same thickness and style.

Start off with 70 gr fff and a .010 patch.

Fire one fouling shot, then a 3 shot group @ 50 yds.

Run a a few patches through the bore and get it sort of clean.

Move up to 75 gr fff with the .010 patches and repeat the fouler and three shot groups.

Keep bumping up the powder till you get to 90gr or so.

Start again with the .015 patches.

Start again with the .020 patches.

Make sure you clearly mark your targets and see what load she likes the best.

After you compare targets, pick the best load and shoot your new gun for a month or two (DO NOT FILE YOUR SIGHTS).

After you run 100-200 balls through her, start the load development again and experiment with different types of lubes.

A pet load should poke it's head up soon enough.

After you get a base line of what shoots the best file the sights and make smoke.

You will never be done with experimenting with patches and lube, it's just part of the game.

I like to start a new gun off with the pre-lubed patches, just because of consistency - of dimension and amount of lube.

After I get a basic good load, I like to put a couple hundred rounds through it just to let everything settle in. Some times it takes a while.

If you are new to flintlocks, some folks need a little time to get used to the smoke and fire, some need a little time to get used to the hang time in firing, some need some time to get used to the different fit of the long rifle, most just need a little time to get used to the whole deal.

Get a fairly good load and shoot your rifle for a while. With the experience you learn from just shooting and loading your new rifle you can take that good load and tweak it into a great load.

You made an excellent choice in the .54. It will bring home the bacon large or small for many years to come.

You also have a new family here to help out if needed

Remember to take PICTURES !!!!

Good luck

Leo

My rifle has a 34" Douglas XX barrel. .535 round balls, WalMart pillow ticking. Goex FFg - 60grs at 25 yards, 75grs at 50 yards, 110 at 100yrds. Hunting I'll go 120grs. 125yards max range. Has ALWAYS worked for me. You'll love your .54 :thumbsup:

I do appreciate all the info. I have a good starting place now and some good advice to build on. My builder suggested that I start with .530 balls for a hundred shots or so to break the rifle in so I will adhere to that advice. He also said it would likely like the .535 balls the best. I know it is a long experimental journey and I am looking forward to every step of it. I have heard of folks using cream of wheat or chicken feed and other such things to lap the barrel during the shot. I know nothing of such things and wonder if you guys recommend such a procedure for a brand new barrel???

The info. on here and the friendly attitudes are amazing. Sounds like I just need to shoot the new baby in like I figured. 200 rounds will be good for the gun and good for my soul!

Latest posts

Back