• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too many accoutrements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of strap do you have on it and is it quieter or noisier wearing it while hunting????im sorry i think a bag and horn would be more comfortable than a tool box hanging from your side..... :rotf: :youcrazy: :rotf:

I started out with all kinds of junk. But as I got deeper into living history I discovered that the old timers did without most of it--and their lives often depended on their guns. Here's all you really need to operate a flintlock rifle/gun: (1)powder horn (or other container--no priming horn is needed, prime with the main horn)
(2) powder measure
(3) priming wire or touchhole pick
(4) patching (and you can use either a patch strip or rag in place of a pan brush)
(5) ball puller and screw worm
(6) extra flint or two
(7) round balls
That's it! Things such as patch knives, priming horns, bullet boards, short starters, etc were not used in the 18th century according to most experts--and the folks of that century relied on their guns much more than we...
If you are going to be out a long period you might also have some other tools (maybe a ball mold, etc) and a tin of tallow. I have got it down to where all my shootin' stuff fits into a small shoulder or belt bag (split pouch).

I attached everything to the strap outside of the bag because I rondevoued with it more than hunted with it. For speed loading it worked better for me that way. I got used to it so continued for hunting with the same rig.

I did too years ago, but found that if I shoot with the kit I hunt with, hunting is a lot smoother :winking:

Too many accoutrements

In my opinion, I think we tend to over-accessorize because we don't have to lug the items around for great distances, we go from the car to the rendezvous and back to the car again then home, so we can bulk up on what-knots and gadgets...

Whereas if we had to pack them for a few dozen miles on foot, we would surely shed the lesser needed specialized gear for the more practical multi-purpose accoutrements...

Billhuntz said:
Where do you guys attach all the stuff??? I'm putting together a hunting set-up for my flintlock and have a, pick and brush, primimg horn, powder measure,and powder horn.

These are the items I want on the outside of the bag and easily reachable. Any suggestions on where to hang them?

I keep most of that stuff in a drawer at home. Dangles, jangles and tangles.

I have a powder measure with a vent tick on the same lanyard hanging from my horn's strap and a three-hole ball block (that slides into a loop so it doen't hang loose) also on my horn strap. That's it. My "pan brush" is a piece of linen or a piece of my cotton tick patching, my short starter is the last 4" of my rammer. I do use a priming flask, but that slides in a pocket on the back of my horn strap.

Horn3.jpg

Here they are as worn. A 5" skinning (waist) belt knife holds the bag and horn strap to my side (and also serves as my patch knife), and they're both high enough that I can pin them down with my elbow when moving. The ball block is tucked away over the knife (you can see it in the image above over the horn) and the measure is the only item loose. I tuck that under the belt when hunting. (Though the jacket is red or blaze orange during deer season). There's a second five-hole ball block in a sheath on the back of my pouch where I used to carry a dedicated patch knife. That's eight follow up shots without needing to open the hunting pouch. :winking:

Stumpkiller4.jpg

IM000642.jpg

Back