• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too many accoutrements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billhuntz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where do you guys attach all the stuff??? I'm putting together a hunting set-up for my flintlock and have a, pick and brush, primimg horn, powder measure,and powder horn.

These are the items I want on the outside of the bag and easily reachable. Any suggestions on where to hang them?

Ok... ALl of these should be attached to your bag, or in relation to your bag. The horn should generally be worn slightly higher than the flap of the bag, with the measure tied to the horn strap. The pick and brush can be either attached to the bag strap, horn strap, or left in the bag pocket. The priming horn is not a PC item, and should best be left inside the shooting bag when not in use. Basically, everything should be reachable with your firing hand, while your other hand grips the firelock. :thumbsup:

:rotf:

What, no loading block, short-starter or patch knife. You don't have nearly enough junk hanging off of you to start worrying quite yet!

:rotf:

If you aren't mistaken for a sutler, you don't have enough stuff hanging off you. Don't fall in the lake with all that stuff to hold you down. :rotf:

Of course, once you get everything hung the way you want, then you'll see someone else and think that's how I want it and change.

:youcrazy:

Bill,
As you can see, here at the MLF, if you
ask a question,you will get varied opinions.
Opinions, thoughts and ideas are what
this forum is about.
As to your question....Take only what you
will need for the hunt, and put them where you can get to them quickly when needed. It is not the
same for every hunter, so personalize.IMO
snake-eyes

If you " Mug" some old lady { give her money back) for her hand bag you should have enough room to put everything in, in some cases, maybe even your rifle.
Think about it,, every shooter should have:
vent prick, enough balls, a few flints ( caps ), ball jag, patch knife, patches, nipple wrench,patch lube, anvil, kitchen sink, tire wrench...oops got carried away. We do carry a lot of junk in our shooting bags.
I even carry some forgotten projects, I can't remember what they were.
Best Regards
Old Ford

This is what drives people like me to settle for a Wal-Mart toolbox in PC black-and-yellow plastic. :grin:

But I truly do admire those of you who go shooting with just a bag.

Hangfeyer said:
The priming horn is not a PC item, and should best be left inside the shooting bag when not in use.

Why do you say a priming horn isn't PC? I've seen pictures of tons of priming horns in historical reference books. Granted, most were designed to be carried in the bag but they were used. "The Collector's Encyclopedia of the American Revolution" has several pictured.

As for too many accoutrememts, I've been trying to slim down what I carry but I'm a pack rat.

Here's a really cool example of one:[url] http://www.nationalmuseumoftheamericanrevolution.org/museum/display.asp?id=19[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there Billhuntz....
I had the same issues, "what DO I NEED to carry.
My bag has balls, spare caps and patches, all to be easy to get at with out digging. patches are in a PC altoids tin, balls loose, and the caps are rattle proofed in the small pocket. I carry a small neck/belt bag that can go into a pocket as well with the tools(nip wrench, vent pick rod ends ect.I also wear a horn. my measure and capper are around my neck.
This works for me and your milage may vary!
I am newer to this arena and am learning fast as to what I DO need and what is nice to have but rarely sees use.

hoping you find the right mix for you,

Brett

Powder horn is on its' own strap and is worn on the same side as the bag so the horn rests on the bag flap above the button. The pick and wisk are attached to the bag strap a couple of inches above where the strap is sewn to the bag, and both live INSIDE the bag. The measure is attached to the horn strap and is usually tucked into my belt. Try not to attach too many things to the straps, as they tend to get in the way and tangled if they don't have a home. The priming horn is just extra, and you can prime from your horn. FFg or FFFg is preferred, as it does not attract moisture from the air like the FFFg priming powder.

At a rendezvous a few weeks back I saw a gentleman who had a shooting gadget which is one of those "Why didn't *I* think of that!?!?!?!" things when you see it.
He simply hollowed out one end of his antler short starter to use as a powder measure......tis a great way to cut down on the amount of stuff in your bag.

"Why do you say a priming horn isn't PC? I've seen pictures of tons of priming horns in historical reference books. "

It depends on what time period you are portraying. Priming horn are not PC for the F&I period, but came into general use just prior to the Rev War.

I only prime with 4F.

I bought a new bag that is 7 inches by 8 inches. That's the best way to cut down on needless junk! :grin:

Billhuntz said:
I'm putting together a hunting set-up for my flintlock and have a, pick and brush, primimg horn, powder measure,and powder horn. These are the items I want on the outside of the bag and easily reachable. Any suggestions on where to hang them?

Bill, I like to keep my gear inside the bag so there is less rattling around and less to get snagged on brush and so on. To make the things you listed easy to find and grab, I put small pockets on the inside-back of the bag, each just big enough for the item in question. I can lift the flap, shove my hand inside, and find what I need by feel.

But if you want those things on the outside, I'd suggest putting the measure, pick, and brush all on a single split ring or a single loop of leather so they are all together. That gives you only one "thing" to attach.

I hunt in some pretty thick country and don't want all that stuff hangin off the strap. I've found that Bakers book and articles do well in showing a good way to do it. I to use to carry a lot of stuff on my strap, that's how I got the practice making stuff that USED to be on the strap! :(

I hope this isn't too far off the topic. Did anyone watch Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series? In one, can't remember which, a Rifleman was rolling powder with his ramrod on paper. I assume he was making priming powder? Did they have any other powder grain size besides 1F? How did they carry the priming powder? I don't believe I have seen any Green Jackets with a priming horn.

P

I am trying to make everything fit on the strap but you make a great point. It's too hard to find a place to hang it, and I'll probably lose a lot cause it's thick here too.

Priming flasks were used...normally stuffed in a pocket!!..'tho 2 companies at Cadiz had locally made pouches on the left of the belt to carry them
Sources indicate that by the end of the Peninsula campaign,cartridges had become the normal load with primer & loose balls discarded,keeping the main horn for priming...source is "British Rifleman 1797-1815" by Philip Haythornthwaite.
Steve

Most of my actual hunting time is in pursuit of squirrels. I carry a small double bag, and there is NOTHING that isn't inside the bag, except the critters. My powder is in a small flask which holds a few ounces of powder. I prime with one of those brass priming gizmos, but more and more with the small flask. Of course a 32 caliber doesn't eat much powder, and the balls and patches are pretty small.
The less stuff you carry, the better.

Back