• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I messed up not taking pics from beginning wanted to do a photo of the beginning of this left camera at home. So this isnt the finished product but a work in progress so stay tuned if you want, maybe next one I will get photo's from beginning. Ok I started with the pc of wrought iron which came from the old B&O railroad round house that caved in do to snow our guild was given a bunch this was a 1-1/2" x 5/16" support strap that had some holes in it for mounting. I forge welding the body together left the end open to weld a pc of 5160 in it. I then shaped the blade with my cross peen hammer, no power tools were used at this point. I ran the drift through the eye so this is were Im at need to clean it up some of course using hammer files and sand paper I may shine her up or give her a browned finish or just let as forged and wire wheel it. Sorry the maple handle is dirty but this happens with useing a traditional forge and bellows and real coal shop gets dirty along with your hands LOL.

2-26-2012_002.jpg
[/img]
2-26-2012_004.jpg
[/img]

Just wanted to add this has a blade edge of like 2.5 inches not pretty but will be functional it's my first one

Cleaned up some and wire wheel used on it kinda like the as forged not sanded or ground finish think I will let as is
3-25-2012_003.jpg

Looks awesome, LH! The hammer marks make it look so authentic! Is the edge bit hardened and tempered or did you leave it normalized from the fire?
Thanks for sharing!
- Rusty

Hawkthrower thanks!

Rusty thanks and its not hardened buddy said why bother that it would be good enough for wood and such but some how that dosent suit me. I know that the weld may pop and look like it delaminated,and I have seen others do that from better smiths then me so I'll think about it.

Real nice Lhunter! :hatsoff:

If you throw some Borax (20 Mule Team Borax, laundry soap) into the weld just before you close it and let it heat till she begins too dance up little white balls. It makes a flux to close the weld and they are pretty much there! But then you probably already knew that!

Good stuff! The reason I asked is that I wouldn't harden and temper it either. 5160 is very good for an axe edge when just normalized. I think unless you tempered it very far back it would be much too brittle for an edge if hardened.

Yep pretty much all we use is the 20 mule team borax works well enough most of the time the other times its operator error LOL

Yes I would temper if hardened, I have made punches that are holding up very well made from both coil spring and some new round 5160 and they were all tempered and work far better then some store bought that the points are mashed flat already

Rusty your hawk is nice have you hardened yours ?

Thanks LH! Yes, mine is hardened and tempered. I'm not sure exactly what the carbon content is but it was almost harder than a file when quenched. I tempered it back to blue.

Works good. You should try a polled hawk sometime, it's the same as a normal wrap, you just ****** weld the poll on the center of the strap first :)

Wish I had a shop here at home I would have a chance to work on some of this more then I do
! The price of Gas is getting to be a problem

Back