• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To unload or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a quick question for anyone who has been on a driven shoot with a muzzle loader.

At the end of each drive do you just remove the caps and leave the shotgun loaded or fire off the loaded barrels?

Never having been on a shoot with a muzzle loader I don't know what the normal practice is.

I am tending towards fire off the loaded barrels then reload.

I pull the caps when I case the gun other then when the hunt is over. Having never been on a driven hunt I would ask the rest of the crowd what they require.

It depends upon the nature of who is organizing the drives and their desires.

In Spain, if it is local Coto organized, a cased gun is all that is required. In paid organized hunts by guide service, they typically make you break down your gun into two pieces, if you can or prove that the gun is not loaded by snapping the hammer, or in a muzzleloaders case, discharge the gun.

I was only in one driven hunt in the UK in Scotland, and they required discharge or snap and case. Spain varies by the organizer.

Back