• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To Traditionalize a T\C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyReb3

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've enjoyed many many shots through various T\C rifles but the only one i enjoyed looking at is a 12ga New Englander, which has nice lines. The rest are all cursed with the bolted down rear sight.. what have folks done to bring old world lines to their T\C's? Only good solution i can come up with is a custom made barrel...but does anyone cut a rear dovetail and fill in the screw hole? I can do something with the front dovetail but the rear sight seems an abomination. I like the rest of the rifle if it has the steel buttplate...the wood is good, the lock is fine. Great rifles till i see a side profile of those sights.

I've still got that fixed buckhorn sight that uses the T/C screwholes & thin blade front if ya want'em. but, to answer yer question, lots of people file a dovetail for a rear sight & fill the factory holes with filler screws. luck & have a good'en friend, bubba.

There used to be sight mounting plate sold to bolt onto the original holes that had a dovetail in it. I think it may have been sold by Track of the Wolf. Here is my version which also moves the rear sight further out for old eyes.

You've been saving me from stupid questions for years bubba.50 :thumbsup: thanks once more and of course...pm sent.

Ohio Ramrod i love your sight...did you make that as a copy or buy that one? Just what i need ...a few of them at least :)

I've always been happy with the replacement sights from The Hawken Shop along with their other steel replacement parts. The sight works with the existing screws and no apologies, but in my eyes it looks better than cobbled hole fills and dovetail. Do a good job and the fill/dovetail is just fine, though.

They're not doing themselves any favors with that photo on their site, cuzz it really is an attractive and effective sight.

Hey thanks BrownBear, i had no idea there were still primitive type sights available for the T\C's. Looks like i didn't look hard enough but i really appreciate you posting that link to them. Guess my "issue" was a non issue. I look forward to getting these sights on my rifles. Thanks again. J.

My TC Hawken kit rifle built in 1977 still has the originally supplied screwed down rear sight and unless I would really take a focused look at this sight and let it rankle me....but of course I wouldn't do that because there are many more "features" that make this rifle non-HC.

I've built and still have rifles that are very close copies of original Hawken rifles but the TC Hawken is "on the rack" amongst these much closer Hawken replicas and deservedly so. It's a hunting rifle that has killed many big game animals including elk and in fact is still killing them.

Functionally have found the original TC sight to be reliable and easy to adjust when sighting in.....so, I've never thought about replacing it or the many other components that render this TC Hawken non-HC. I just take it "as it is" and hunt w/ it.

No doubt the reason for my fondness for this rifle is that it was my "entry" into building MLers and it did do it's job.....have built many MLers since, but while working on new builds, every once in a while I look at my "first build" and it really makes me feel good.....Fred

To use one of Zonie's words which I really like is, why frinkle with success?

Changing a T/C is like asking your wife to change her color to what you think she should look like.

I see it more like telling the wife to take off the work clothes and put on something slinky, we're going out :v

Indeed a good post Flehto, and as with most stuff to each their own. TC rear sights have bugged me decades before i even knew what HC meant, i just never knew what to do about it and didn't spend any time looking. Luckily a manufacturer or two saw the same issue and provided an aftermarket fix, i'll know soon what difference i see between the old sight and the new. May end up not mattering much or may lead to ordering more replacement sights.

I appreciate every reply on this thread, thanks fellas. :thumbsup:

Back