• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To tack or not to tack, that is the question…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200107_121724.jpg

I love the way old native guns look with tacks. Jim Beckwourth "went native" and joined up with the Crows, and his rifle has some tacks and a rawhide wrap:

View attachment 236479
With that said, I have not seen very many modern tack jobs that I like. I have not been able to figure out what the difference is... Maybe the modern tack work is too perfect or something. I don't know. I can say that a lot of it is overdone.

I would not tack that rifle that was shown in post #1. It is a beautiful custom-built Hawken rifle, and its looks and function cannot possibly be improved with tacks. Whether it is put up for resale or not, it has a certain value, and that value would be substantially decreased with the addition of tacks. I think Caleb made the right decision when he elected to leave it alone. If all of that kit shown in the photo (knives, beaded rifle case, etc) came with the rifle, it must have belonged to a serious history nut and blackpowder shooter. He must have valued the rifle as it is, and I would respect that.

I've been thinking of tacking a ~40 year mass-produced rifle that is currently in "beater" condition, to duplicate a movie gun of the same type, but it needs other work done before it will be really shootable. It would be a good candidate for some simple tack work. But a nice custom Hawken? I wouldn't do it.

Would that have been Wendell Grangaard? I've never met him, but I have his book. He has done some interesting work, but I saw that he was trying to sell off his collection earlier this year. They had a really nice website up with photos and detailed descriptions of every piece he had for sale, but it appears that website has been taken down.

Notchy Bob
I agree 100% with your statements on the "beautiful custom-built Hawken rifle" paragraph. Yes, the original owner must of treasured the rifle and kit (if all of it came with the rifle). LEAVE IT ALONE!

I'm not a big fan of tacks, but I do have one with them. It is a Western Arms, Santa Fa, so a production gun from the same time period as yours. I did get it at a good price because of the tacks. They are very small and I felt that they didn't take away from the guns looks as much as some tack jobs do. Here are a few pictures of it.
View attachment 236615View attachment 236616View attachment 236617

I personally wouldn't do it on a custom gun.
Interestingly, those SMALL tacks actually look great on that gun!

If you're even still considering it the pics shown here should convince you to NOT do it. All the guns shown would look better without the tacks. I'll buy rusty guns but I leave "tacky" ones where I find them.

If you mainly go to Rendezvous where a lot of mountain men and native American are portrayed, than IMO, I think tacking is OK. If on a expensive custom rifle or even Trade Gun than I would avoid tacking. To consider, if you plan on keeping it for life, do what you want, if you plan to maybe sell at some time, look at what your customer base will be.

I have this really nice plains rifle that was built in the 70s or 80s, it’s a 54 cal… would it be sacrilege to decorate the stock with some tacks?
Yes, it would be. On a less attractive piece, maybe not, but use the small nails. The gun displayed in your OP is much too pretty to bugger up with tacks. You'll ruin it's value.

edit: I was glad to see your decision to not apply them...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back