• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To shoot or not to shoot? Unethical?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see nothing unethical about shooting a deer in it's bed. Some people may see it as unsportsmanlike, but that is their problem too...

Everyone I hunt with would consider this a perfect end to a hunt. Some would question one’s ability to pull off such a stalk and kill. Over the years I can only think of a handful that occurred coming up on a bedded deer, and those were taken as the deer rose. In my opinion, quite impressive

I've only ever shot two bedded deer. One was a buck that walked up and bedded as I watched. The other was a doe I still-hunted and spotted before she rose.

I don't see an ethical problem with that. But we each set our own bar for "ethical", because that is different from the legal/regulations which otherwise prescribe our actions.

Grouse I will not shoot on the ground - again, just my personal bar.

I've never shot a bedded deer. They have always stood up when I stumbled into view or bleated at them. A standing deer gives a better target and an easier kill.

"I consider taking 2 ducks on the water by lining-up their heads to be a greater accomplishment than a wing shot, especially from a subsistence hunting standpoint."

After a person buys a federal duck stamp, state duck stamp, steel shot and steel shot components needed to shoot a couple of ducks on the water, it seems subsistence hunting went out the window.

See it on the TV hunting shows all the time, they always try to get them to stand first. If you're confident of the angle and can see the path the bullet will take through the vitals, then I can't understand why someone would risk spooking an animal to try to get it to stand up. The animals I've seen that weren't recovered haven't ever been from shooting a bedded animal, they were running shots or excited shots taken without paying enough (or any!) attention to the angle.

What I find unethical is all the folks around here that are now into the long range game. They have custom barrels with high dollar scopes, wind speed devices, and shooting apps. They sit on one side of a canyon and spot game across the other side, range it, take a wind reading, plug info into their app, dial the scope, adjust the rifle on the front and rear shooting bags, and then shoot the animal at 900 yards. Zero woodsman skills required.

Renegade Hunter: I would also like to know if these so called "snipers" follow up on the shots they take at game. I'll bet, if the animal doesn't drop in plain sight, they don't even bother to hike "across canyon" to verify a hit or a miss. As you said, this involves zero hunting skills, and dosen't do justice to the game animals. If you want to shoot long distances, shoot paper or gongs. Live game deserves better.

I think where some of the angst is that sometimes when a deer type critter is bedded, its vital are often obscured by brush and such. And the shot leads to a wounded critter.

I for one do not believe it to be unethical in the least!! As others have said, sneaking within lethal distance to such wary critters is a skill we all should be proud to attain!! Not only have you beat all the senses of the critter but to make a clean humane kill on a smaller than normal target shows excellent marksmanship. Another sign of a true hunter is knowing when not to take such a shot for "ethical" reasons.

I believe a true hunter, knows his skill and only acts within those skills. Its just that some have more skills than others. Those who don't find ways to belittle those who do by calling it unethical!

My two cents!

It would depend on if you are shooting to survive or for sport. All the ethics in the world will not fill an empty stomach. But your question for most is a very valid one and i salute you for thinking in such a way. Good Job

Renegade Hunter: I would also like to know if these so called "snipers" follow up on the shots they take at game. I'll bet, if the animal doesn't drop in plain sight, they don't even bother to hike "across canyon" to verify a hit or a miss. As you said, this involves zero hunting skills, and dosen't do justice to the game animals. If you want to shoot long distances, shoot paper or gongs. Live game deserves better.

I 100% agree. They put the ones they get all over social media, but you have to wonder how many they have hit and lost. They're certainly not going to put that on social media.
And now a few organized hunting groups are after the F&G to make multiple changes to the regs and seasons because they aren't seeing enough "trophy" headgear like they used to (they word it more tactfully of course). 10 years ago seeing an animal at over 500' rarely would result in the animal being shot, but it is all too common now.

So I am hoping to collect some opinions here. It came to my attention recently that while it is perfectly legal in my state to shoot a bedded deer it seems that everyone I ask is of a different opinion on this subject. I am an avid spot and stalk/ still hunter. It is not uncommon for me to walk up on a bedded deer. People seem amazed and I assure them it's just a developed skill. However it never occurred that this could be an ethical issue. It seems both sides have valid points so I would love to see what this wonderful forum has to say on this matter. Shoot or don't shoot
if you have a good clean open shot. not problem with it.

I find myself doing more hunting than killing during deer season. Few years ago I was driving down my private road that I share with 3 neighbors and came up on a small deer with it's leg trapped in a barbwire fence. I had tags + a handgun and could've popped this one easily. Instead I helped free it's leg from the fence. Too small for me.

I find myself doing more hunting than killing during deer season. Few years ago I was driving down my private road that I share with 3 neighbors and came up on a small deer with it's leg trapped in a barbwire fence. I had tags + a handgun and could've popped this one easily. Instead I helped free it's leg from the fence. Too small for me.

At the end of the day, you had to feel good, you did the right thing and I would have done the same.

Back