• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To shoot or not to shoot? Unethical?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon I'm a pretty good stalker. I have shot bedded Whitetail. It never occurred to me that there might be anything unethical about it. What does strike me as EXCEEDINGLY unethical and which I refuse to do is shoot at a running deer. Praise God...I don't need the meat from the animals I harvest to survive. Were that the case, I'd feel differently but since it's not I won't risk a poorly placed shot that might result in a wounded and lost animal. I have too much respect for the animal to take that risk.
When I do take a shot, it's essentially an execution (so to speak).

Don,
I totally agree with you! I grew up hunting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where I rarely saw another hunter, allowing me to stalk deer undisturbed. Later, I moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota, where it was similar in the back country. I hunted remote canyons by glassing to locate a deer then stalking it.
Then I moved to Wisconsin, where it’s totally different. More hunters are afield, 600,000-700,000, than the entire state of South Dakota population! And deer are hunted like rabbits- gangs of drivers push the deer out of brush and woodlots, whereupon other hunters blaze away at the running deer. I routinely here of multiple hits from multiple hunters needed to bring down a fleeing deer. A lot of deer are wounded and escape to die later, unfounded someplace.
Because of this style of hunting, I was so disgusted with Wisconsin deer hunting during the general gun season, that after my first year I switched to only hunting the black powder season. Twenty eight years later, I still hunt onlyduring black powder season, and I never see another hunter in the deep woods. I’m unmolested by other hunters and able to stalk any deer I locate, much more sanely and safely.
In over 50 years of deer hunting, I’ve never shot a running deer and never will because I have too much respect for the animal. All except one kill have been one shot kills while the deer were eating, walking, standing or bedded. Again, this is my personal opinion and my choice.

Back