• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To all who gave me idea's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's what I did.
After getting the ball stuck, I did the following.
I must credit this to someone on YouTube, where I saw it.
A 5 ft piece of threaded rod, cut it the length of the barrel plus a little longer. I used 3/8 rod
Put 2 washers and 1 nut. On the other end weld a screw
This worked perfect.

Attachments

• 20231013_135622.jpg
    20231013_135622.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20231013_135638.jpg
    20231013_135638.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 0
I explained to my gunsmith ( a shout out to the guys at shootsmart in Ftw.)l what I wanted.

He made it. Stuck it down the barrel, Into the ball gave it a few twists, slid the washers down, made a few turns and he said he could feel it come loose, and was able to pull it out..

They had sprayed oil in the slash hole to neutralize the powder.
Took me about 1 hour to get the barrel spotless.
Than took my bore scope and took a peek, spotless and flash hole it clean.
Best 25 buck on that scope I ever bought.
Got it off Amazon.
Marl

Well, I'm glad it worked out well for you. I am a little confused about the nut and washers on the 3/8" rod, if you don't mind additional explanation or showing a photo. Were these pushed against the muzzle, and the nut turned with a wrench to pull the ball?

One thing I do believe is that all ball pullers are not created equal. I like the ones from Track of the Wolf:

Bullet & Puller.jpg

The screw has a murderously sharp point and threads and a tapered shaft. A lot of manufacturers just use a wood or sheet metal type screw, but I honestly believe these purpose-built ball pullers from Track are superior. That screw really bites into the ball and holds securely.

This ball puller also has a collar fitted to the bore size. This keeps the screw centered, and prevents it wandering off and scoring your bore. Several of the ball screw makers produce this item with a centering collar, but as far as I know, only Track uses that kind of screw. I don't know the caliber of your rifle, but the 3/8" threaded rod would be .375" in diameter and in a .54 caliber rifle (for example), you would have .165" of "play," which is quite a lot. If it were mine, I think I might wrap a few layers of tape around the threaded rod just above the screw, to serve as a centering guide and protect the bore.

The ball puller from Track fits on a regular ramrod or cleaning rod. This does require hand-pulling the ball, rather than the nut and wrench system on the threaded rod. I imagine that nut-and-wrench system enables a straight and powerful pull with little effort. That's a good idea.

Just brainstorming here, but if the T-handled 3/8" threaded rod could have the end bored and tapped to 10-32 to accept the Track of the Wolf ball puller instead of having the screw welded on, you would have the best of both... the purpose-built ball screw with the centering collar, and the nut and washers for strong and well-controlled pulling action.

In any event, it sounds as if the home-made ball puller did the job. :thumb: That's good news!

Notchy Bob

Well, I'm glad it worked out well for you. I am a little confused about the nut and washers on the 3/8" rod, if you don't mind additional explanation or showing a photo. Were these pushed against the muzzle, and the nut turned with a wrench to pull the ball?

One thing I do believe is that all ball pullers are not created equal. I like the ones from Track of the Wolf:

View attachment 260731

The screw has a murderously sharp point and threads and a tapered shaft. A lot of manufacturers just use a wood or sheet metal type screw, but I honestly believe these purpose-built ball pullers from Track are superior. That screw really bites into the ball and holds securely.

This ball puller also has a collar fitted to the bore size. This keeps the screw centered, and prevents it wandering off and scoring your bore. Several of the ball screw makers produce this item with a centering collar, but as far as I know, only Track uses that kind of screw. I don't know the caliber of your rifle, but the 3/8" threaded rod would be .375" in diameter and in a .54 caliber rifle (for example), you would have .165" of "play," which is quite a lot. If it were mine, I think I might wrap a few layers of tape around the threaded rod just above the screw, to serve as a centering guide and protect the bore.

The ball puller from Track fits on a regular ramrod or cleaning rod. This does require hand-pulling the ball, rather than the nut and wrench system on the threaded rod. I imagine that nut-and-wrench system enables a straight and powerful pull with little effort. That's a good idea.

Just brainstorming here, but if the T-handled 3/8" threaded rod could have the end bored and tapped to 10-32 to accept the Track of the Wolf ball puller instead of having the screw welded on, you would have the best of both... the purpose-built ball screw with the centering collar, and the nut and washers for strong and well-controlled pulling action.

In any event, it sounds as if the home-made ball puller did the job. :thumb: That's good news!

Notchy Bob
Dude
I tried everything I know.
I had to stop at cabelas in Ftw, and get a new ball puller. Got home, drove the puller into the lead and tightened it in the lead until I couldn't get it any tighter.
Pulled, hit the bottom on the rod handle with a mallet. I could NOT get it to move.

So I saw on YouTube using the threaded rod.
Put the nut and washer on the rod first.
Once the screw is in the lead good and secure. Slid the washer on the barrel so you done Marr the front.
As you turn down the nut with a Cresent wrench. It will slowly pull it loose enough to pull it.
People can criticize me all they want..but it worked and that's all I care about.
The barrel is clean, and clear.

Range time soon again

How mind you, the barrel is empty.
Once the screw engages the ball. Let the washers drop down and spin the nut until tight. Use a wrench ro tighten the nut, as you do , it turns and moves up, pulling the stuck ball

Attachments

• 20231014_093538.jpg
    20231014_093538.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231014_093528.jpg
    20231014_093528.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231013_135638.jpg
    20231013_135638.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 0
Dude
I tried everything I know.
I had to stop at cabelas in Ftw, and get a new ball puller. Got home, drove the puller into the lead and tightened it in the lead until I couldn't get it any tighter.
Pulled, hit the bottom on the rod handle with a mallet. I could NOT get it to move.

So I saw on YouTube using the threaded rod.
Put the nut and washer on the rod first.
Once the screw is in the lead good and secure. Slid the washer on the barrel so you done Marr the front.
As you turn down the nut with a Cresent wrench. It will slowly pull it loose enough to pull it.
People can criticize me all they want..but it worked and that's all I care about.
The barrel is clean, and clear.

Range time soon again
Thanks for the extra photos and explanation.

No criticism was intended, and I apologize if my comments were offensive. Your home-made tool did the job, and you’re back to shooting again. That’s what counts.

Notchy Bob

Thanks for the extra photos and explanation.

No criticism was intended, and I apologize if my comments were offensive. Your home-made tool did the job, and you’re back to shooting again. That’s what counts.

Notchy Bob
Yes sir
Hoping I can sneak away today. It's a bit chilly here today for we thin blooded Texans. May have to wear my rendezvou outfit. Lol

"NEED is the Mother of invention" my old long deceased friend used to tell me. I came up with the most gosh awful things to problem solve. No money for ready made tools and a "can do" attitude.

That is just a super idea my friend! I like. The skinny deck screw as I have pulled the threads outta more than one pure lead ball with those pinecone shaped screws.

Only thing I would suggest is wrapping your all thread with black electrical tape for that 1 in 100 chance of it rubbing against the wall of your precious barrel to keep it pristine.

Great job with your "yankee" puller

"NEED is the Mother of invention" my old long deceased friend used to tell me. I came up with the most gosh awful things to problem solve. No money for ready made tools and a "can do" attitude.

That is just a super idea my friend! I like. The skinny deck screw as I have pulled the threads outta more than one pure lead ball with those pinecone shaped screws.

Only thing I would suggest is wrapping your all thread with black electrical tape for that 1 in 100 chance of it rubbing against the wall of your precious barrel to keep it pristine.

Great job with your "yankee" puller
I like that idea of wrapping the all thread with tape, and yes I worry about the inside of the barrel.,

But Alas, I bought a flexible bore scope on ( my wife's least favorite place next to wal mart)) amazon.
Depstech , it's about 10 ft long.
WIFIs to your phone.look all the was to the breechplug face , I put a little brass rod I. Mine, so I can see where the holw is.
The little black stuff is gone

Attachments

• 20231013154259085.jpg
    20231013154259085.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 0
it seems that without a centering collar next to the screw it would be pretty easy to engage the ball off-centered somewhat, and of course risk scoring the barrel. Same thing up next to the muzzle, which is even more important.

Back