• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips on a Traditions Deer Hunter kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just ordered my first muzzleloader, was deciding between a inline Pursuit Vapr XT or going with a percussion, older style rifle.
I'm glad I found a Deer Hunter kit in stock at KTH in Maine.
Any better sights I should look for?
Also is it worth replacing the synthetic ramrod with a aluminum one?
24" barrel.

Thanks any other tips would be appreciated

Sorry you haven't had any replies. So here goes.

I've built two of these, and have a third on order with and for my grandsons.

Can't opine on the availability of aftermarket sights... but realize the plastic glow lites are not the best. I understand the newer kits have metal sites (but still light-gathering). Either way they work and finding aftermarket supplies that improve things is a good off-season pursuit.

I'd recommend the fiber rod that comes with the rifle for use in the woods and use a hand-close-to-the-muzzle technique, but I would purchase a good brass range rod for target practice and sighting-in days. I shoot a 30 year old Traditions White Tail (factory built) .54, and have noticed loads much over 70 gr. (I shoot Pyrodex) will cause the ramrod to release and slide forward (not desireable). But, in all honesty, 70 gr. is my preferred hunting load on patched round ball and 410 gr. Lee cast minis, so it's not a problem.

The Deer Hunter is an entry level firearm, but the barrels are very accurate. These guns will serve many years with proper care.

Good luck... I'm sure you've burned some powder and thrown some lead by now. Just wanted to answer.

Dan

I have one. It is picky about getting the powder into the drum. You have to put the powder in and tilt it lock away, then give a few raps on the stock opposite the lock. It definitely likes real powder and finer powder (FFFg) than Pyrodex or Triple 7. My doesn't like patched balls or full sized conicals. It is very accurate with a saboted bullet.

The Deerhunter was my first muzzleloader and what I cut my teeth on going in to black powder shooting and hunting. I replaced the "glow sights" with more traditional sights and also the ram rod with a hickory rod. I harvested my first muzzleloader deer with it that fall; It shoots round balls very accurate and some lead conicals just as well. Very handy and well balanced in a blind, stand or thick woods.

I have one. It is picky about getting the powder into the drum. You have to put the powder in and tilt it lock away, then give a few raps on the stock opposite the lock. It definitely likes real powder and finer powder (FFFg) than Pyrodex or Triple 7. My doesn't like patched balls or full sized conicals. It is very accurate with a saboted bullet.
Yes, the "hold it at a slant lock down and whack it" is part of my loading procedure. A very practical and necessary step to remove doubt and misfires. Good catch.

You have to be a history buff to get away from all the modern BS thats ‘out there’ when purchasing an authentic style ML like a Hawken rifle! These have standard barrel sights, no leaf spring rear style sight or plastic ‘glosight’ up front; which is normally a copper blade cut to size as needed and filed to fit a zero as desired!

Back