• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to tell if my Traditions deer hunter was a kit gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellas. My new to me traditions deer hunter arrived. I bought it for a Christmas gift for my SIL to cut his teeth on muzzleloading. Looking at the traditions site the current complete model has a synthetic ram rod and fibre optic sites. This one has nice steel sites and a wood ram rod. Is there any way to tell if it was a kit gun by the serial number?

I own a couple of deerhunter rifles. One was a kit that I put together and the other was a new old stock gun.
I really don't think there's a way to tell for sure.
The one you have with iron sights and wood ramrod sounds like an older model.
It probably don't matter one way or another, kit or factory done. Enjoy regardless.

They come in more variety and configurations than there are apple varieties.

fiberglass, wood, aluminum ramrods, fiber optic sights on newer versions (screwed in) iron sights in dovetails on older ones, good nice looking wood stocks, ugly plain wood stocks and black plastic stocks. Build from kit by owner, built from kit by reseller and pre-built finished models.

If you contact Traditions, they might be able to tell you one way or another.

It’s not a big deal one way or another. Has the dove tailed sights, nicely adjustable. Had it to the range today and it shoots nice. SIL is a cabinet maker so he will re do the stock over the winter as a project. Down the road he hopes to do a scratch built like a Kibler.

Back