• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips for new builders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
Can anyone reccomend some good resources (preferably video/picture with explanations) as I'm more of a visual learner) for building BP arms? I'd love to do a kit build, but I don't feel comfortable enough spending a decent chunk of change on let's say a Brown Bess because I'm too afraid I'd screw it up.

Last edited:
Those Kibler kits are gorgeous. My concern is I've never stained wood, not sure how to attach sights, etc.

Last edited:
1) you are going to make mistakes--accept it, as that is how you learn. Most flubs are correctable.
2) For your first build, collect your parts then draw a fullsize plan with correct dimensions. You can use others plans, books, etc. but nothing beats doing it yourself to get a feel for how the gun will go together.
3) Get a good book: Buchele's "Recreating the American Longrifle" or Alexanders "Gunsmith of Grenville County" are recommended. As a college professor of mine said: "Read, Mark, and Inwardly Digest" the information.
4) Ask questions. The curmudgeons on this board are a crusty lot, but will give you plenty of well meant feedback.
5) Now start your build. Don't forget #4.

Jim kibler kit you cant go wrong

1) you are going to make mistakes--accept it, as that is how you learn. Most flubs are correctable.
2) For your first build, collect your parts then draw a fullsize plan with correct dimensions. You can use others plans, books, etc. but nothing beats doing it yourself to get a feel for how the gun will go together.
3) Get a good book: Buchele's "Recreating the American Longrifle" or Alexanders "Gunsmith of Grenville County" are recommended. As a college professor of mine said: "Read, Mark, and Inwardly Digest" the information.
4) Ask questions. The curmudgeons on this board are a crusty lot, but will give you plenty of well meant feedback.
5) Now start your build. Don't forget #4.
https://www.amazon.com/BOOK-SET-Gre...ix=gunsmith+of+grenville+county,aps,65&sr=8-4
Look what comes as a pair on Amazon :p

What kind of stock, your sight just slide in dove tale might need to file just a little
I haven't reached any sort of decision making process yet. I was thinking add on parts to the barrel would need to be soldered or something. My experience with soldering is more inline with circuit boards and what not.

My advice is to dive in headfirst. I just finished my first real build, the inletting was about 80% on the stock and it took quiet a bit of shaping then all the sanding. I used ferric nitrate and Minwax Wipe on Poly for the finish. I fitted the butt plate, side plate and nose cap, fitted the breech plug, cut the dovetails in the barrel for the barrel lugs and front sight, drilled and tapped the barrel for the rear sight and liner/drum, drilled and tapped the lock bolts and tang screws, installed the trigger, then browned the barrel and all the hdw. I'd didn't keep up but would guess that I have well over 200 hours in my build. If I ever do another one it'll go faster.

The best advice I can give, if you get frustrated or hung up on something, lay your tools down and walk away for a while. there were times I'd walk away for two days before starting again. As mentioned there are some fantastic builders here and they will help when you need it, and you will need it.

Start with a pistol about the only mess up would be the wood .If you mess it up it is cheap to start again and a lot cheaper than a rifle also you will be wanting a pistol anyway.

I'm too afraid I'd screw it up.

If that is true than you have already failed, because that thinking will keep you from ever starting. One thing that every great gun builder has in common is they built a gun for the first time. And here is a little secret. You will screw up. Every gun builder does that. Even the ones that have been doing it for a very long time. But all of those goofs can be fixed. You just have to quit worrying about making mistakes and get to work. It is all pretty easy after that.

20220329_135915.jpg

the thing that keeps the process from overwhelming this old dog is to concentrate on one facet of the build at a time and ignore the rest. when that area is completed then i go on to the next step. many builders have a set progression of steps, and i do myself. i do the step that i am comfortable doing at that particular time. SLOWLY. if i am not really in the mood and the creative juices flowing, i go wash dishes, scrub toilets or some other brainless endeavor. seems to put me back in the rifle building frame of mind quick!:D

I gree when you get in a pickle stop go do something else. Go work on it the next day.iv do 3 kibler's but this is my first build from a plank of maple

Right or wrong i figured i would learn the most by starting at the deep end. gathered all the parts, (I thought) and a plank and started whittling. i did learn. like Tom Edison, i learned many ways not to do some things. have yet to do a real "Kit" but then i have never been accused of being smart either.
Plus i am married to the quintessential Scot. if it costs .25 cents less to do it from a plank that is the correct way to do it! never mind the time factor!

Back