• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tipi

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbowie1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope i put this in the right place?
Well i have been saveing up and finanly have enough to order a tipi made by [NOMADIC TIPI MAKERS out of bend oregon. They made the 1,s used in dances with wolves. Im ordering the 16 ft one. I allready have a BAKER & A WALL TENT] for roondy but i have allways wanted a tipi. Whats you good folks thought on this.

You will love it....as I did mine. That is till
I went hard core...horses...but the time I spent
in my lodge was well remembered...That is the best
lodge possible, you will see...Go for it !
Wulf

Go with the 18 ft. You'll find that the extra height and space makes for more comfort and space for a fire. The 16 ft will cramp you with a fire.

+ 1 ... I own currently my third tipi... I started out wit a 16' which was easy to transport, with shorter and fewer poles... Downside was the more limited (head)space and more cramped living space, especially if you had a spell of bad weather. Then I had a 19' - wow what a lot of space, and allways heaps of visitors! But a pain to set up and transport. Now I own an 18' tipi which is just right... but I am growing tired of having to do all that work putting up and down the thing for just a few days ... I am really tired of it and bought me a wall tent that I can put up in a fraction of the time needed for errecting the tipi.... the downside of the walltent is that you cannot put a cosy fire in it (or you must use a stove)... All them doings with a tipi is allright for longer stays - when you are younger, and if you can convince your spouce that it would be more HC/PC if SHE put up the d... thing. But allas I never succeeded in convincing my better half of that historical fact... :shake: :(

Tipi's are great if, as everyone else has pointed out, you have the larger 18' and you don't mind the hassle of putting it up and tearing it down not to mention transporting it.
I have a double door A (wedge) and a fly which I can use as a large (semi-Baker style) lean-to or in an open wedge configuration for hot nights if I don't want to use the A. Easy to set up and tear down.

WELL i have been wanting 1 for a long time, So i ordered a 16 ft tipi from nomadic tipi makers in bend oregon. I have a wall tent and a BAKER tent but i allways wanted a TIPI. it was expensive but worth it i hope. NOMADIC made the tipis for dances with wolves. I have a 40 acre pasture that is 2/3 pasture and 1/3 woods with a creek thru it. Im hopeing to get a few skinners togeather for a small hunting roody in oct. There is a 6 day elk muzzle loader season up here 3 point bull or cow. Last year we had a drought and no fires so i didnt camp. Hopefully this year maybe an early snow.

I have 40 acres 2/3 pasture for my horses and 1/3 in woods with a creek. I was planning on setting it up close to the woods part and leave it up so i can use it in the winter.I like my baker tent easy to set up and the same with my wall tent. BUT im gettin to be an old hoss and never had a tipi so i figure i best get 1 now. Im 65 and think its about time lol. Theres just me and my old lab. so i really dont need alot of room.

jimbowie1 said:
I have 40 acres 2/3 pasture for my horses and 1/3 in woods with a creek. I was planning on setting it up close to the woods part and leave it up so i can use it in the winter.I like my baker tent easy to set up and the same with my wall tent. BUT im gettin to be an old hoss and never had a tipi so i figure i best get 1 now. Im 65 and think its about time lol. Theres just me and my old lab. so i really dont need alot of room.
I turn 60 next year so I know what you mean and my wife hasn't reenacted with me in years, believe it or not she's allergic to wool, silk and wood smoke. She also had a bad experience with our last Civil War unit which soured her. She's a serious researcher and a strong personality, our unit commander ended up being a strong personality control freak and saw her as a threat to his power. Need I say more?
If the 16 foot tipi fits your needs then by all means go for it. :thumbsup:
(I'll take the Baker off you hands, got a couple of bucks laying around somewhere........) :grin:

Dont know how many camp with you. My first was a 14 foot easy to set up and warm as toast,but small. would have been great for one,comfy for two if your closeI had my wife in mine.Crowded with three or more.Then I got an 18 foot,lots of room,pain to set up used a larger fire then i was used to building to heat.Now I'm back in a wedge as my wife cant 'voos any more due to health issues,and I can keep warm with out a fire in the loadge.What ever you get you just cant beat a tipi for comfort.Was it iron eyes cody who said in the outlaw josie wales "Just might take up this tipi liven"

I used a 12' hunters lodge for over 20 years. Have read all the arguments claiming they ain't 'authentic'. Have seen others saying they are fine. No one ever burned me out or tried to scalp me for having it. The one pole set-up was quick and easy. Roomy for two plus all the 'stuff' one brings. The inside pole was handy for hanging things, even a candle lantern.

camp.jpg
[/URL][/img]

My buddy has one in his back yard,he is mountain man Chuck Streeper google the name read the story.He has his fire set a little closer to the opening rather than right in the center and an inner wall,he made it all,like he says it's the perfect shelter,i love the darn thing!Wish i had one too,the hardest part is hualin the poles.He told me to get a book and i did called The Tipi Book.

they are great, we had an 18" when i was a kid. i Practiced so i could set it up by myself. we would stay in it for up to 9 days at a time.

Hi,

Last year I was bitten with the "I must have a tipi" disease. I did lots of research in books, the lodgeowners group on Yahoo, and a friend who has lived in them, and is on his second tipi. I went with a 16' Shoshone style from sweetwater tipi's. The advice I got said for 3 people the 16' would be the best compromise between room and ease of transport/set up. I just cut the poles in May. You will need to work to gather all the extras. I am doing my research to select how I want to paint the tipi. One question you need to ask yourself is, will this tipi be a 'modern' set up or are you trying to be HC?

I am excited for you!

Apaws

Apaws said:
I am doing my research to select how I want to paint the tipi.
Unless you are very well-versed in NA religion & symbology, I would avoid it. Even then, it is a great way to offend tribal members, especially if you are of anglo descent. I would suggest that you do not paint the tipi.

2nd that!
I guess it depends on where your at.
I've seen folks from some of the southern states as being absolutely unaware of any culture beyond their own,

While Here in Minn and I'm know in much of Montana there are current living and breathing tribes with tribal lands that hold their historical values and culture near to heart.

I tried to raise the issue of respect in another section of this forum not too long ago and it was made into a laughing stock and belittling thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back