• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tipi Living- Ins and outs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am so proud, me and my brother just got our first Tipi. Its an 18 footer complete with poles and accessories. A liner, and Ozan. The seller moved to the city and made me a deal.

I have never erected a Tipi in my life and for sure don't know much about living in them summer or winter. I have seen some good Youtube videos on how to set them up and I doubt it will be a problem at all.

For you Pro's out there, what are some of your tips, pointers, suggestions, ins and outs of Tipi Living?

Thanks,

Headhunter

Congratulations! You are in for a real learning curve experience. Tipi's are like staying inside of a living entity; they move, creak, flap, moan, and make all kinds of interesting noises. They also have their own smell. Every time that you put it up it will be a little different so don't get discouraged. Mark your tie points on the poles once you get it figured out. Get both of Laubin's books. You will absolutely love it!

Congrats!
I use a tipi for 15 yearsnow, regularly and like it a lot.
Good advice earlier - the Laubin books are good and give clear advice. Good measuring of the Tying Points of your tripod and marking them is also good advice.
I would also advice to build up your tipi with the help of someone experienced the first time, preferably before you go to camp with it. Say a practice run ...
Downside of the tipi is all the work it takes to put it up ... I do not do it anymore if I go for short camps of say three to four days....

The very best of luck with your new home away from home. :thumbsup:
Enjoy,
Dusty :wink:

I lived in one of these for a year, just to live the experience. It was permanently set up within 30 feet from a creek, downwind from a good windbreak of cottonwoods. Fun time! Setting one up won't take too long once you get the hang of it. They can be as comfortable as a house, but you do have to get used to smoke. With a good set, most of the fire smoke goes straight up. Smoke can fill up when you first start the fire. After this 'experiment' of yearlong duration, I used the lodge for big game hunting, using poles scrounged from local dead aspens, leaving the poles, and using them for many years. The canvas finally gave out, and hasn't been replaced. Outer canvas should be about 12" above ground, liner fit flush with the ground. This is to get a proper draft for your fire. Flames from fire should be kept 12" or lower to prevent burning the lodge down, Firewood should be sticks, and not thick logs. Cook outside over another fire, again to prevent burning lodge down, as well as to prevent a bear from coming in at night looking for leftovers. An onan is handy, but I didn't use one. You can't stand up under it. Mine was an 18 footer as well. Good luck, and have fun with yours.

Tipis are a pain in the ars to set up, haul and store. But the pleasure of camping/living in them makes it all worthwhile. Don't get discouraged if you have problems learning to set it up. They are worth all of the trouble and learning curve. When the wife had the fourth child the docter said she could go home right away but he was going to keep her in the hospital for three days. ( This was before insurance companys set the rules )rather than send her home to "those wild indians" I told him we would take down the tipi and move back into the house, but we were keeping the indian ponies!

Latest posts

Back