• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tipi skin treatment?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redmoon

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys so today I was given an 18' tipi skin (my first tipi) that's well used. I have a few small repairs to make, make some lace pins, make a floor and liner and get a set of poles to get it functional again and I'm wondering if there are any treatments I should use for UV, Waterproofing or fire resistance? It will be used in the summer for rendezvous and shoots and stored in the winter.

Smoke.
Do you know who mad it? Panther primitives, RK and Tentsmiths mostly use well treated fire resistant canvas.
I’ve owned two. After you get you set put it up inside out close the flaps and build a smoky fire in it. Keep it going for a few hours, then move the cover side ways around to change pole placement light marks and repeat.
Next day put it up right and resmoke with Flaps nearly closed.every one and awhile change which smoke flap is exposed to most smoke.
Besides looking lived in and loved the smoke does much to preserve and water proof the fabric

Redmoon there is a product made for canvas called Canvak that you can brush on or spray on with pump up garden sprayer that has good reviews.

Mike

I got my tipi in 1983. It was made from Sunforger canvas. Waterproof and fire resistant. If you use a floor you need to sweep it. Just a few rugs or pieces of burlap are better or deetskins if you have them.

Back