• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ticks / Sleeping / Tents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2T Original Listerene.
2T Household ammonia.
2T lemon dish soap.
Mix up in 1 gallon of water and spray on any and all vegetation,it is a very good bug repellent.

greetings,

another oldtimer is, catnip.. the seeds and plants are available at outdoor centers.. just crush it up and rub on your skin..it does keep the biters at bay..

..ttfn..grampa..

You don't have to soak the ground cloth just a light coating. read the directions. I go to one rendezvous that is in a swamp. The first year I went I came out with 4 ticks dug in and too many
skeeter bites to count. I learned of Permonon at this event. Now before going I spray my shoes, leggins, knee britches, long shirt, wesket, neckerchief and hat. I spray the ground cloth and bedding. I have been to the same place three times since then and have never got a single bite.
With it on my shirt and hat skeeters act like you have a force field on. They will not land on you.If a tick crawls on your shoe and starts up your leggin It will fall off and die before getting to your belt. Boys I am really sold on this stuff. In fact after my first post today I realized I was out, so I have been to wally world
and restocked.

:thumbsup:

I am going to have to get some of that Permonon! Gotta try that. :thumbsup: Of course, it would have been better to try it BEFORE I got lyme. :(

Ticks are one of the reasons that soldiers "blouse" their pants legs just above the top of the combat boot. The elastic band and a little sulfur powder keep the little critters from crawling up you leg and imbedding themselves in a nice warm spot. Most ticks in the areas of the south I've lived try to climb plants and jump on to you as you brush past. I never had any trouble in a tent. A little sulfur powder has always kept them off of me.

grzrob said:
When camping in Georgia I often find dead scorpions
under my ground cloth. It's a whole lot better than finding live ones.
:thumbsup:
That could be the effects of them beans that you been eatin... :blah:

Most of the ticks you encounter will not be (concentrated) WHERE you set up camp unless you are very unfortunate. Check your clothes/body BEFORE setting up or re-entering camp. Any that you miss may still be on clothing, change out, or leave traveling clothes OUTSIDE from where you sleep. If you have a dog they will carry/concentrate them too..............

MSW-
Can't really tell you why it works, tho I suspect it has something to do with eucalytus and/or menthol. What appeals to me is that it's effective while being otherwise benign. Apply it to skin, clothing, groundcloth or what have you and it seems to impose little or no collateral damage.
Story: While bear hunting, on-stand in Ontario, I carefully read the detailed 'precautionary statement' about hazards to humans and animals which accompanied the permethrim [duranon] product I was using. It was not only funky smelling and somewhat oily, but about as toxic as kryptonite.
Learned about the Listerine when speaking with the guide. :thumbsup:

We use washing soda - sprinkle over the ground inside and outside the lodge area before setting anything. With this method we've not been bothered by bugs or spiders that crawl up from the ground in our tipi. Flying insects are another matter. :grin: For them, the best we've found is Skeeter Beater. It stinks a bit when you first put it down, but after a while you don't notice the smell, or it disapates (I don't know which).

It's a laundry booster. You can usually find it in the laundry soap section of the supermarket. It's in powdered form.

Back