• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tick treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in your eye, just take a q-tip and just dab it right on them you don't have to touch yourself with the diesel fuel,
Maybe I misunderstood @oldwood’s situation. Personally, my eyelashes are pretty close to my eyes. But you do have two of them.
felt an irritation in my eye. Found a tiny tick embedded mixed in with my eyelashes.

First is protection which is the Permethrin, or concentrated DEET. When hunting anymore I use camo duct tape on my pants and coat cuffs. My doctor gave me an RX for an antibiotic that you take if bitten and I keep it at home and camp. . 2 Tablets and if no further symptoms develop you're done. Bullseye rash or other symptoms and it's a full protocol.
Very timely post. I just used my tick tweezers yesterday and he wouldn'y give up and I ended up breaking it off and digging the rest out. Not good. The only time I was near plants was 3 ft off my porch.

I use this stuff. I get it from Tractor Supply. 1oz mixed with about 10 oz water in a spray bottle. Just spray your clothes and let them dry outside. Don't forget to spray your socks too.

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_161619573.jpg
    IMG_20240514_161619573.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 0
Seth.........I'll remember the diesel trick for tick torture. 20 yrs ago , before tick stuff was common knowledge , I got Lyme disease from a tick behind my ear. Symptom was like lock jaw. Couldn't work my lower jaw. Had to talk to the Dr. like a ventriloquist. He put me on antibiotics for a month , and all was well , I hope. Now a days , though I spend a lot of time in the north woods , it is riding in a UTV. Only critters I bust up are timber rattlers. I have a beloved dog , and she doesn't understand that these menaces will kill just as dead as ticks . I check dog for ticks , and all the other slithering killers die when I find one...............Also , I've lost four m/l friends to Lyme disease. Their deaths weren't pretty. These were back in the 1970's , before the disease was well known.

Seth.........I'll remember the diesel trick for tick torture. 20 yrs ago , before tick stuff was common knowledge , I got Lyme disease from a tick behind my ear. Symptom was like lock jaw. Couldn't work my lower jaw. Had to talk to the Dr. like a ventriloquist. He put me on antibiotics for a month , and all was well , I hope. Now a days , though I spend a lot of time in the north woods , it is riding in a UTV. Only critters I bust up are timber rattlers. I have a beloved dog , and she doesn't understand that these menaces will kill just as dead as ticks . I check dog for ticks , and all the other slithering killers die when I find one.
We had our Lab vaccinated for Lyme disease when he was young. He still contracted it. The vaccine was guaranteed, so the manufacturer covered the treatment costs. It's a nasty disease for sure. My MIL has had it for years. Attacked her joints pretty bad.

Seth.........I'll remember the diesel trick for tick torture. 20 yrs ago , before tick stuff was common knowledge , I got Lyme disease from a tick behind my ear. Symptom was like lock jaw. Couldn't work my lower jaw. Had to talk to the Dr. like a ventriloquist. He put me on antibiotics for a month , and all was well , I hope. Now a days , though I spend a lot of time in the north woods , it is riding in a UTV. Only critters I bust up are timber rattlers. I have a beloved dog , and she doesn't understand that these menaces will kill just as dead as ticks . I check dog for ticks , and all the other slithering killers die when I find one...............Also , I've lost four m/l friends to Lyme disease. Their deaths weren't pretty. These were back in the 1970's , before the disease was well known.
Nephew had undiagnosed Lyme disease for over two years. My sister and BIL quietly remove all the guns from his house under premise of a messy divorce and a young child in the house. There were suicidal thought concerns. Three years later and I still wouldn’t say things are back to normal. He has no recollection of any tick bite. Mid 30s and walks like an old man.

Here is the stuff I use on my outdoor and hunting clothes. The gatters were pre treated and purchased before an African safari. Wasn’t sure I could get diesel fuel there for personal use…… Honestly, Lyme disease isn’t big deal until you get, then it’s something you will not want to trifle with.
1715918188682.jpeg

First is protection which is the Permethrin, or concentrated DEET. When hunting anymore I use camo duct tape on my pants and coat cuffs. My doctor gave me an RX for an antibiotic that you take if bitten and I keep it at home and camp. . 2 Tablets and if no further symptoms develop you're done. Bullseye rash or other symptoms and it's a full protocol.
Very timely post. I just used my tick tweezers yesterday and he wouldn'y give up and I ended up breaking it off and digging the rest out. Not good. The only time I was near plants was 3 ft off my porch.
Check out a product called ATTACK TICK, which is an all natural Native American formula that not only repels ticks but also mosquitos, fleas, flies, black flies chiggers, ect. NO DEET Find it at attacktick.com Safe for pets, farm animals. your kids and perfect for hunters and fishermen.

Georgia state trooper taught a class years ago & advised "Big MaMa" pantyhose would keep ticks from adhering below the waist if worn beneath long pants treated with Deet. Appropriate opening cut by male users and fishnet style not effective. Personally, never tried this.

Possibly not historically correct.

It's that time of year ,
thank God the weather is getting nice and warm, trees are blooming, grass is growing, hillside are nice and green,

Came back from the shooting range this morning , talk about a 2-mile walk,
And over the next 4 minutes removed about 20 ticks from my pant legs and Boots.

Time to start carrying the tick treatment,
I have not found very much insect repellent that ever actually works but I carry a little bottle of diesel fuel just a tiny dab of this will put an end to a tick, just a tiny dab of it on them,

Used to carry a little box of matches because people taught me you have to burn ticks to make sure they're dead but just a dab of diesel fuel seems to be the safest way to end them.

Little bit of medical equipment that's easy to carry ,
carry some after bite,
Do carry a bit of repellent because the mosquitoes are starting to come out , some parachute cord for creating a tourniquet,
and a saw blade for removing bigger limbs like legs and arms that can't be quickly chopped off with a knife such as toes and fingers can be.

View attachment 320283
Better safe than sorry.

Twenty odd years ago I got the LYMEX vaccine. Just now googled it and found the protection diminishes over time and that the vaccine was discontinued due to lack of interest.
Have not had the disease but can't say if that is because of caution or the vax. But as of recently my blood still titered positive for Lyme so I am hoping the vax is still effective.

It's that time of year ,
thank God the weather is getting nice and warm, trees are blooming, grass is growing, hillside are nice and green,

I have not found very much insect repellent that ever actually works but I carry a little bottle of diesel fuel just a tiny dab of this will put an end to a tick, just a tiny dab of it on them,

Used to carry a little box of matches because people taught me you have to burn ticks to make sure they're dead but just a dab of diesel fuel seems to be the safest way to end them.

carry some after bite,
Do carry a bit of repellent because the mosquitoes are starting to come out , some parachute cord for creating a tourniquet,
and a saw blade for removing bigger limbs like legs and arms that can't be quickly chopped off with a knife such as toes and fingers can be.

View attachment 320283
Be sure to update your tetanus shots!

Permethrin.. I usually just spray my pants. Ticks

Johnsons baby oil.. face hands skin. Works... mosquitoes. Nats. Beach fleez don't like it either.
I have used permethrin for years and has worked. Spray pants till wet and leave overnight to dry. Good for at least 2 weeks of repelling ticks and chiggers even after a wash.
I used it when it was being tested before releasing for sale to public at Land Between the Lakes (Tennessee side), an area with high number of nasty ticks! Impressive stuff. Just don’t spray it on your skin.

It's that time of year ,

carry some after bite,

View attachment 320283
We try to tuck in our pants and use deet spray. It works pretty good here.

Or take your better half; and like the song says " I'd like to check you for ticks!!" Lol.

Latest posts

Back