• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts and/or identification of this percussion (fowler?), please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was my first firearm, some 70 years ago and it fueled my love of history and guns, guns, guns! I "found" it in the old blacksmith shop on the farm 200 year old farm in MA that my grandfather bought in 1920 for his retirement (it's still in the family). I also "found" a bayonet that fit on the muzzle (to the detriment of the front bead sight).
The bore is 0.561". The barrel is 34" long. The length is 50" overall and the circular lockplate cover is 0.983" in diameter with an interrupted thread. The cover plate is missing, the ramrod is broken and the hammer is stuck fast. I have not been able to find any markings at all on this old relic. Yes, I have verified that it is unloaded and no, it is not for sale. As I stated in the title, any thoughts, insights or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Fred

Attachments

• XXX- Top View.jpg
    XXX- Top View.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 4
  • XXXEntire Fowler Left Side.jpg
    XXXEntire Fowler Left Side.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • XXXEntire Fowler Right Side.jpg
    XXXEntire Fowler Right Side.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • XXXLock Left side.jpg
    XXXLock Left side.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 0
  • XXXLock Plate.jpg
    XXXLock Plate.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 0
  • XXXLock Rt. side.jpg
    XXXLock Rt. side.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Has a very similar appearance to their rifles. Should have “Allen’s Patent” on it somewhere. May be an Allen knockoff! There is a book out there on Allen guns.

Has a very similar appearance to their rifles. Should have “Allen’s Patent” on it somewhere. May be an Allen knockoff! There is a book out there on Allen guns.
I am familiar with Ethan Allen in the Revolutionary War and I am familiar with Ethan Allen furniture stores but I have never heard of Ethan Allen firearms. Could you enlighten me? Was Ethan Allen, the firearms maker a son of Ethan Allen of the Green Mountain Boys? Wow! I now find myself going down a new rabbit hole. I just looked up Ethan Allen firearms and I have to agree with you and andy52. Thanks for the lead!

The revolutionary war hero was no relation to Ethan Allen the gun maker. He is most famous for his pepperbox revolver. He produced pistols , rifles, and shotguns. Mass produced for the market of westward expansion.

Back