• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck 2017 redux

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Native Arizonan said:
If you shot a bigger buck, I guess you would just have to make camp and work on him for a few days until what was left was light enough to carry out. :thumbsup:
That would be a fun camp, with a lot of good meals. :haha:

Getting old isn't for sissies, especially if you hunt solo. I used to field dress my deer, load them up and take them home for processing. Then a few years ago getting the deer into the Jeep began to be a problem, so I had to adapt. I got a game block and tackle and began hoisting them where I shot them, skinning and butchering them, taking just the meat home. Some of them countered by running far away from a tree appropriate for hoisting before giving up the ghost, so I had to drag them to a tree. No problem, did that for quite a while. Now dragging a bigish one has become a problem, so I'm ready to make my next adaptation, I'm studying up on the method of butchering them on the ground where they dropped, without field dressing. Let's see what they do about that. If they figure how to outwit me on that, then it's your method, eat them where they lie. :haha:

Spence

When I was hunting out west, a guy told me a "story". Seems that the hunter killed a bull elk in a canyon and he couldn't see a way to get it out so he called his wife on the cell phone and told her to toss down a BIG frying pan and a pound of salt.

He was planning on a long stay. :doh:

Congratulations and a belated Happy Birthday. :hatsoff:
Good shooting and great tracking. :thumbsup:

Tsaan Wookkuh Spence!!

And Happy Birthday!! what a wonderful gift! Not only do you make a great colonial Hunter but you make a Dandy Mountain Man too!!

Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for re-posting. Great tracking job and very nice rifle. Happy 84th birthday. I hope I am still shooting deer at 84.

:surrender: hoping there are still deer when I am 84 and if they is still round these parts that I can still SEE EM.

Can wait for the 2018 report Spence :thumbsup:

A fine story and great pictures. Plus, you have the makings of some tasty vittles right there at your feet. Thanks for sharing, Spence!

Darren

I’m beginning to think the digital gods don’t like my tale. The first time I posted, it disappeared completely under mysterious circumstances. I reposted. Now I see that the photos have all disappeared, apparently because the image hosting site I used after Photobucket went greedy has gone belly up. Well, I'm not one to give up, what’s a braggin' tale without photos?

My pseudo-mountain man outfit.
Buck17C.JPG

Buck17D.JPG

Buck17G copy.JPG

The view from my stand. The buck entered at the far right.
Buck'15-31.JPG

The buck.
Buck17O copy.JPG

The happy hunter.
Buck17Q.JPG

Let’s see how long this version lasts.

Spence

I used to hang out with Spence quit a bit years ago. He used to run me into the ground while out on our little trips to the woods. For those that have not met him he is a great guy with lots of life experinces. He is 20 years older than I am. We had not seen each other for some time, I stopped by his house about a year ago. His first response was after realising who I was "you have gotten old". I just let it go, I could have told him he has been old the whole time I've known him.

Love you Bob, miss our trips to the woods.

Chuck

I just let it go, I could have told him he has been old the whole time I've known him.
You should see it from my point of view, Chuck. It feels as if I've been old forever.

Those times spent with you were absolutely the best I ever had since getting into the reenacting game. Cherished memories, old friend. Homestead, Woodbury, Friendship...but best of all, all those times just hunting and rambling at the farm. Solid gold. Such times are coming to an end, for me, I hope you are still enjoying it.

Spence

Congrats on the buck and a great tale. Glad you reposted the pictures. I've done a couple deer with the no gut butchering method. It's actually pretty easy. If it's too warm to let them hang in my shed, that's the method I use. I wouldn't do it any other way if I were planning to butcher the same day I shot it. Hope you are able to get out and give it a try. If I were closer to you I'd be glad to give you and hand and show you how to do it.

Russ

Back