• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Those T/C Small Bores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There was a bit of traffic on the Cherokee earlier this year, some good stuff. I learned there were apparently some .32 Seneca models made, something I don't recall, and a Cherokee in .36, known to me. The Cherokee was offered in double set and single trigger versions. Both the Seneca and Cherokee could be had in .45 but this is about the smaller bore versions.

It would be interesting to know other's thoughts on these guns. Today all there seems available in this market niche is the Traditions Crockett, which gets some high marks.

Please share your thoughts about these T/C models, experiences too if you have them.

I had been looking for awile and found a Cherokee here on the Forum earlier this year. Top quality you would expect from TC. Compared to the Renegade"its big brother"it feels like a toy. Working on getting a Maxiball mould fabricated as the ones that TOW sell are about 20gr heavier and a little different in shape. They also sell a Lee 6 cavity and that is yet another shape. Lot of info on people shooting .45cal and cracking them, Im just going to keep shooting it with the .32 barrel. The .32 Cherokee does have a 1 in 30 twist not sure about the .36cal and the .45cal is 1 in 48. I had been leaning towards a Crockett and what I read was the kit guns are so so as far as fit, alot about the hammers not lining up. Some did some didnt and when people called the response was very slow. The ones that were factory made seemed to have great reviews. They are 1 in 48 and everything I read about them even the kit guns after everything was sorted out is THEY REALLY SHOOT WELL!! I think the bug that got me to search for my Cherokee is I have many other TCs and new I needed the Baby of the Bunch! Hope this helps. If I didnt cover something ask away!

A .45 Seneca unfired just sold on GB for 615 last weekend. There is another that looks clean starting bid 599 and no one has bid.

I have quite a few Cherokees and Senecas, personally I prefer the stock configuration of the Seneca. I’ve got a couple Seneca .45’s a .36 and a .32 that has an aftermarket barrel of some sort. I’ve got at least 3 or 4 .45 Cherokees and a couple.32’s, I had a brand new .36 barrel but I sold it because I’m not really a .36 fan. I’ve got one single trigger Cherokee that I bought because it has a really nicely figured stock but I hate the T/C single trigger guns.
Having said all that, I prefer to shoot the .32 Crockett rifles.
A few years ago you could get a nice .45 Cherokee or Seneca for $400ish. A .32 Cherokee or .36 Seneca for around $600. .32 Seneca’s and .36 Cherokees are rare and are priced much higher. I don’t really know where the markets at these days.
I killed one deer with a .45 Seneca and a maxi hunter.

Last edited:
The combo with .32 and .45 barrels was great. It covered everything from squirrel and rabbit to deer.

I had the TC Seneca in 36 caliber. The one with double set triggers and patch box. I sold it to a local gun store and the store is now closed but the owner still lives here in town and still has the gun. Maybe I should see if he will sell it back to me. I know where he lives.

I liked shooting 38 Special 148gr hollow base wad cutter bullets from it. They were a slip fit in the bore and with the hollow base they would expand and act just like a Minnie' ball. I wouldn't have any trouble using one of those on our small Tx deer. The gun shot well with round balls too. I have had one other 36, a Traditions Pennsylvania and it shot the 38 WC bullets just as well as the TC did. Maybe better.

My bud bought a Green Mountain 32 caliber barrel for his Cabelas Hawken and we weren't impressed too much with the 32 caliber. Its just as wind sensitive as you have read. Up close and short range it was OK but past 50 yards and it was really affected by wind. I would take the 36 over the 32 any day.

I have a Cherokee in 45 and 36 caliber. They are both the double trigger model. The 36 is ridiculously accurate. The 45 is no slouch either. I don’t push the 45 over 45 gn by volume as I don’t want to damage the stock. They are both very plain but I like that. They function flawlessly. I would love to add a 32 Cherokee to the list but I haven’t won the lottery yet.

I have the Cherokee with a green mountain round ball barrel in .40. It is the only small bore TC I've ever fired but it is tons of fun to shoot. Light weight and one of the most accurate rifles I've had so far. It can outshoot my abilities any day. I love the small bore rifles. Maybe because I love squirrel...

I own a Cherokee and Seneca both with 32 Caliber Barrels and have a 45 Cal. Barrel for each and all of them are factory TC Barrels. All of the 32s were 1 in 30 twist while the 36s and 45s were 1 in 48. As said the 32 Seneca and the 36 Cherokee are hard to find but the 32 Seneca is the rarest of them all and brings a premium price. The 32s shoot extremely accurately with reduced powder charges. I use my Seneca almost exclusively as it fits me much better than the Cherokee. It is my go too squirrel gun.

Cherokee and Senecas are my weakness, can't help but try and buy everyone I see ( expecting one delivered today). I have looked over several years of Thompson Center catalogs and never seen the 32 Seneca or 36 Cherokee barrel offered. I have heard of them over the years. My question is do they have TC information stamped. In barrel, did they come from Fox Ridge shop ?
Would love to see a picture.

I have a Seneca .36 with a spare .45 cal barrel. Over the years I have acquired a mini ball mold, a new old stock TC tool and peep sight for the Seneca. At short to medium range with 40gr of 3fg and a patched round ball it is deadly accurate. I will never part with it.

The Seneca 36 cal are bringing a premium on auction sites. I just bought one for $290 that will need some work. Cheapest one I have seen. They are usually selling around $500 to $600 at auctions if they are in good shape . At the same auction a Seneca 45 in decent shape sold for $210. I should have bought it, if nothing else for the parts. I have been looking for a few years for a 32 T/C. Have yet to see one. I did see a 32 T/C barrel on EBay NOS for a Seneca a year or so ago. Someone paid $500 for it.....

Don't forget about the T/C Custom Shop (Fox Ridge Outfitters) versions that were issued with high-polished bluing and upgraded wood.

I had a like-new Custom Shop .32 Seneca that I sold because my fat fingers had difficulty loading.

After years of looking, I stumbled across a .36 Seneca that loaded easier for me, and shot lights out to boot.

I use my .36 on small game (per state laws) and my .45 Seneca on deer (per same state laws).

Both are standard/early Seneca's w/o a model name on the barrels.

vebulA7m.jpg

Cherokee and Senecas are my weakness, can't help but try and buy everyone I see ( expecting one delivered today). I have looked over several years of Thompson Center catalogs and never seen the 32 Seneca or 36 Cherokee barrel offered. I have heard of them over the years. My question is do they have TC information stamped. In barrel, did they come from Fox Ridge shop ?
Would love to see a picture.
The .36 Cherokee barrel I had was brand new in the box with the same markings as any, except it said .36 caliber. I don’t know if you could buy a .36 rifle but you could get a .36 accessory barrel.

Last edited:
I had a cherokee in 36 caliber for the youngest boy and it was the best paper shooting gun I ever had. I have two in 45 caliber for the grandkids and like them.

I shoot the .32 and .36 more than I shoot other calibers combined. Yeah, they're cheap to feed, accurate and then some, And one doesn't need a big gun just to have fun and shoot cans, paper, coke bottles, golf balls and other "pickup" targets.

I have a TC Senaca with a 36 and a 45 barrel. I have hunted many years with the 36 barrel.Many a squirrel and such were enjoyed with mashed potatoes and gravy with a pan of fresh cornbread! I had to add a peep sight about 20 years ago. That is my favorite small game rifle for hunting the creek bottoms of Texas where I live.

The .32 Cherokee I put together as a kit 35 years ago is still a charming little rifle after all these years. If my eyes can cooperate I hope to shoot it accurately, possibly at more squirrels this Fall. They are small, almost dainty, but not a child's rifle, IMHO. I started out using the T/C conical bullets but it didn't take long to decide that they were more than needed for squirrels and rabbits. The PRB does the lick just right. Thought about calling in a coyote to it but have never gotten around to that. Maybe this winter?

Last edited:
The 32 Seneca was offered in both a standard barrel and a Custom from Fox Ridge. The Fox Ridge barrels were deep blued and very high gloss. I will post a picture of my 32 Seneca in a few minutes.

Back