• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Those pesky Pedersoli Patent (Breeches)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
So, I have been trying a few different things to get the patent breech on a Pedersoli clean.
Small jags, patches on split rings or even a patch worm turned backward.
So today I did this.
20201130_232029.jpg
I screwed a q-tip into the end of a rod with 10-32 threads - dang - that works.
Dipped it in cleaner and slid it down the barrel.
Took out the liner just to make sure it was reaching the bottom of Alice's hole....

20201130_231956.jpg

All I see in the bottom of the liner hole is Q-tip.
That works like a charm!
A little spin and the channel is clean as a whistle! (Anyone know where that saying came from?)

Son of a .........gun!

I'll have to try this. However it could be a real bear if one looses the qtip off the rod.

In near 30years of muzzleloading I ain't ever cleaned such a breech and neither do I care or worry.
I only have one gun with such a breech. Think I've owned it for 7 years. Never cleaned the breech. Works just fine.

In near 30years of muzzleloading I ain't ever cleaned such a breech and neither do I care or worry.
I only have one gun with such a breech. Think I've owned it for 7 years. Never cleaned the breech. Works just fine.

Pumping water in and out thru the nipple hole cleans a breech just fine and no need for a brush or other such things.

I much prefer flat breeches over any "patent" ones. But I got to say this, I've owned several rifles with patent breeches and never experienced even the smallest problems with them. I still have one rifle with the patent setup and it a fine rifle. I've never gone to the trouble of cleaning them any differently than rifles with flat breeches.

I agree Hanshi, the only difference is I sometimes use a smaller brush to clean the patent breech, but not usually. Using the barrel in a bucket technique cleans the chamber. If the patent breeches were so bad then why did CVA, Traditions, T/C, Ped
ersoli and other manufacturers going back a few hundred years all use them? Griz why do you make it difficult all you need Is some warm water and dish soap?

I agree Hanshi, the only difference is I sometimes use a smaller brush to clean the patent breech, but not usually. Using the barrel in a bucket technique cleans the chamber. If the patent breeches were so bad then why did CVA, Traditions, T/C, Ped
ersoli and other manufacturers going back a few hundred years all use them? Griz why do you make it difficult all you need Is some warm water and dish soap?
I suspect the reason those companies use the Chambered Breech (some call it a Patent breech) design is because most of them started building half-stock rifles with hook breeches so the barrel could be easily removed.
The hooked breech lends itself to having the flame channel from the vent or nipple to the bore, drilled into it rather than drilling thru the wall of the barrel.

Almost all of the earlier, full stocked rifles with pinned barrels, use a simple hole thru the barrel wall for their flintlock vent or to screw a side drum in place for the nipple. My experience with this simple thru the barrel wall method is, the reliability of the gun to fire is much better than the chambered breech.

It amazes me, the number of individuals on this site that would argue about ANYTHING.
It's just a simple suggestion of one way to do what has been asked on this board dozens of times on how to go about it.
And of course - there are so many here that (in their own minds at least) have THE one and only way of doing something.
And nobody else in the whole world is as intelligent and authoritative as they are.
Zonie, I was not commenting on what type of breech was best, or what the ULTIMATE AND IRREFUTABLE METHOD was the best.
It was just a simple suggestion I found worked well for me to have a clean and dry breech before going to shoot one of my favorite guns.
But of course - the intellectual giants here were unable to understand that.
Griz why do you make it difficult all you need Is some warm water and dish soap?
35 seconds is not what I deem "difficult" to clean the barrel oil out of the breech before a shoot. It ain't rocket science.
You spent more time trying to tell me how YOU would do it than what it actually takes to run a q-tip down the barrel and swab the breech out.

I may have to try the Q-Tip trick tomorrow. There are other firearms that I clean that require the use of a long cotton swab and I often break the wood holding the swab. The shaft on the short cotton swabs I buy from Dollar General appears to be plastic and a lot tougher than wood.

Thanks for the tip (Q Tip).

Back