• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Puzzling GPR breech condition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenn

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman GPR percussion kit that I finished some time ago, & right out of the box, I noticed by shining a flashlight down the bore that the breech face was black. "No worries," I thought. "I'll soon have all that cleaned out." Well, I was surprised that that black colouration is more than just tenacious. I tried a .38 cal bore brush wrapped with steel wool (to get into the patent breech) -- no change. In addition to hot water with a bit of Dawn dishwashing soap, black powder solvent & Hoppe's No. 9, I even used a liberal amount of carb cleaner to see if I could dislodge the black whatever-it-is. No change.

I took it to the range yesterday for the first time to work on sighting it in, & I thought in the back of my mind that perhaps a generous time of shooting might somehow affect that breech face "stuff(?)." The rifle was flawless; not one misfire & initial sighting in went surprisingly well. Returning home & after thoroughly cleaning everything as we all do, the breech face is still unchanged. The rest of the bore is a sparkling, silver mirror, but there's still that black breech face.

As for my patches, I have a small, .32 cal brass cleaning jag for entering the patent breech, & they come out clean (well, after a thorough swabbing, of course) even after rotating the cleaning rod. So apparently that black colouration isn't powder residue; at least I'm hoping it isn't.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Could be colored that way from the hardening of the Plug?
I think you're right. Thank you! It'll always remain that colour, I guess. I may be a "victim" of being too inquisitive & gaining to much info. I mean, flashlights didn't exist in the 18th & 19th century, so shining one down the bore wouldn't have been an option. And why do that anyway? Obviously all's clear; the patch is coming out as clean. Thanks much for taking time to address my question!

Back