• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center tang sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNG

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've decided to put a TC tang sight on my Renagade. A friend who works on guns since his retirement said he would drill and tap it for me, but he's not quite sure about the placement on the tang. Can anybody bird dog me to the proper placement?
BTW, first post love the sight.

JNG,
First, Welcome aboard.
I posted this on the percussion forum the other day. I picked up this Renegade last week and it has a peep on it. Hope this helps.

IMG_4652.jpg

Thank you for your responses. There seems to be a wealth of info here.

About a year and a half ago I sent my T/C Renegade to the T/C service dept to have them install a tang peep sight. They drilled two holes midway between the tang screws, and mounted the tang sight there, allowing me to use the standard front sight. I believe that if you use the bottom hole of the tang, and drill and tap one hole, you will have to use a lower front sight. If you have any doubts about this, call T/C service. They are very helpful.

It is interesting that they would drill and tap two holes. The instructions that come with the T/C Hunter Tang peep sight say, on the Renegade, that you use the existing rear tang screw for the rear of the sight and drill and tap only one hole, for the front. You locate the sight by fastening it with the existing tang screw, and then mark the tang for the front hole. BTW, this method allows you to use the standard front sight. You do not have to buy a different height front sight. I have two Renegades, both with the T/C Hunter Tang peep sight. I originally used the standard bead front sight, but have since replaced them both with the T/C fiber optic front sight. These work MUCH better in low light conditions (especially after you drill out the aperture as large as possible). Guess they didn't follow their own instructions.
Larry

Before drilling anything, I'd use the lower screw only to mount the sight and see if it can be adjusted to co-align with the sights in place on the barrel (assuming the gun is already sighted with a reasonable load). If it does you are good to go just drilling one new hole for the peeps upper screw.

I think that T/C changed the way that the tang peep sights are installed, from earlier practices. The directions that came back with my Renegade for installation of the peep sight say "Hunting Style Tang Peep Sights require the drilling and tapping two additional holes in the tang", and the picture, which says "Traditional Side Lock", shows the sight mounted between the tangs front, and rear screws. Again, as the instruction sheet says, "Any questions about this, call the Thompson Center Service Dept. At 603-332-2333."

If they changed the directions, they must have done it very recently. I bought mine only a couple of month ago. Here's the directions that came with mine:

"Hunting Style Tang Peep Sights require the drilling of either one or two additional holes in the tang for mounting. For the White Mountain Carbine and Pennsylvania Hunter models, two additional holes must be drilled and tapped. Place the sight midway between the front and rear tang screws, then center the sight side to side on the tang. Use a prick punch to mark the front hole only. Use a #29 drill and a 8-32 tap to thread the hole after it has been drilled. once the front screw has been secured, then mark the rear screw hold; drill and tap.
For other Traditional T/C side locks, it will only be necessary to drill and tap the front hole. The back hole uses the existing rear tang screw found in the rifle. Once secured with the rear tang screw (and aligned side to side on the tang), mark the front screw location with a prick punch - use a #29 drill to drill the hole, and a 8-32 tap."

The picture on the directions clearly shows the sight located between the two original screws, requiring two holes to be drilled and tapped. The directions, however, say that two holes are needed only on the White Mountain Carbine and the Pennsylvania Hunter.

It appears from the experience of others, that either method will work on Renegades or Hawkens.

Larry

Latest posts

Back