• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center 58cal's- history

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogmann

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Can the historians and experts here on TCs please tell me how many models did TC make in the 58cal percussion ?

I know of the

Renegade 58
Hawken 58
Big Board 58

Can you- it you know- tell me the barrel lengths and stock-trigger differences also?

Thanks

Only one I've seen first hand is the Big Boar. And all those have been single trigger. I have two- one with CLA and one without.

Me thinks he hit a wrong key whilst typin,
I think it's QLA,
A T/C invention where they cut out the bore a bit a 1/2" or so at the muzzle to accommodate easy loading of the plastic things.

necchi said:
Me thinks he hit a wrong key whilst typin,
I think it's QLA,
A T/C invention where they cut out the bore a bit a 1/2" or so at the muzzle to accommodate easy loading of the plastic things.

Yup, it was an LCT, as in Low Coffee Typo. :rotf:

The only one I have ever seen is the Big Boar 58.
If they, TC, made any of the other models you mentioned I have never run across one. Not that, that means anything but I do look out for them quite a bit. :hmm:

I believe that all the 58 cals came as custom guns from fox ridge outfitters TC's custom shop with the exception of the Big Boar. I was on camping about 7 years ago and checked out a bow-gun shop and they had sold a 58 cal hawken and 36 cal seneca with the accessories for 500.00 from an estate 2 weeks before I got there. You can come across stuff like this I was sad I missed it I should have just sensed it.

I received my .58 TC yesterday. Renegade set up, and all the barrel says is ".58 Renegade." It does have QLA (flintlock not caplock)

It is also nearly factory new. I almost don't want to touch it let alone shoot it!

I wish I knew more about where and when it was made. Too bad all those TC records burned up.

Greg

That's a good score. You're going to have fun with that one!

For what it's worth, with half a dozen Big Boar cappers in the neighborhood a good starting load has turned out to be 80 grains of 2f under a .570 ball with ticking patches and grease lube of one sort or another none of us use wet lubes, so I can't say much about them.

That's a pretty standard plinking load for all of us, and a couple of guys use it for deer too. I find its trajectory a little too loopy for my 75 yard sight-in. That's a mild charge, but recoil goes up proportionally as you increase the charge. I've settled on 100 grains, but one pard likes 110.

You hadn't asked for that info yet, but I figured the question was coming!

I've got a TC Hawken 58cal aquired off a Gun trading board it is LNIB,I've not fired it & don't know if I will.My other is an Investarms it does really well with 562 hand cast RB,wonder wad over 120gr ffg and 018 ticking patch lubed with beeswax and olive oil,It'll turn in ragged 1 hole groups @75yds off a rest all day If you care to shoot it that long :) Did I say it makes a lot of smoke and noise :grin: :v

I also shoot 100 Gr. of 2F, along with a patched .570 RB in my 58 Cal Big Boar T. C. Shoots better than I can. Happy to keep them in a 6 inch circle at 75 yds.
Gonna try her on a deer this year.Grandson wants to hunt with my 54 Cal T.C. Renegade.

Aim small, miss small, try again.
Vearl

I looked in my stack of old catalogs and found a T/C from 1995.

The Big Boar is all they show in .58 i9n that year.

Back