• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This woman's crafts (a few)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leal536

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A few of the things I have made.
Pack basket took about 7 months to make; pine needle basket 2 weeks; belt bag about 6 hours; nippers pouch about 12 hours (I am not much of a bead worker!); turtle bag about 6 hours (the leather and turtle shell were already prepared by someone else - I just had to stitch it together and decide how to decorate it).
story

All pretty darn nice actually -- I'm impressed. You MADE that whole basket though!?

Seems you also need to learn to knit...

...socks! It can't be toe bad.

:wink:

I made the whole basket except the webbing and the splints and nails/brads. I bought the webbing at JoAnn's Fabric, the splints at a local (now out of business) craft store and the nails/brads at Home Depot! I had a friend's store bought basket to use as a guide. It took me so long to make because of that nasty 4 letter word - WORK! I only worked on it on weekends and then not every weekend. I am very careful with it even though I know I can fix anything that breaks on it but it was a job to do so I take care of it.

I do know how to knit but I am of the mind that needles need to have a machine attached and I am not buying a knitting machine! The latest thing I hand stitched was a pair of wool moccasins. Can't be worn outside but I have the skill now to make that kind of moccasin in leather. Doubt I will but I can!

Besides, I portray a native American woman at mt man rendys and they didn't wear socks!

Nice basket work! :bow:
You need to branch out into the larger forum,, don't be afraid to share in the Craftsmen section :thumbsup:

You have a gift! Keep it up! (But you make some of us look pitiful :redface: :shocked2: )

Seriously, good work.

Lea,

OK, Now I understand what you meant by a turtle bag. That’s neat. I’ve never seen anything quite like that. I really like your nipper’s bag as well. Your belt bag is nice and the button is very authentic. (I made a bunch the wrong way before I learned to use the outside of the antler for the face of the button.)

The items that really stand out, though, are the pine needle basket and pack basket. They are great!! Truly impressive.

Would love to see more of your work.

Gus

nice looking baskets! m wife was interested in baskets for a bit, but when we moved to New England, she let it peter out.

by way of an aside, I found the needles to have a different feel here in Vermont than they did in the Carolinas. different species? different diet?
:hmm:

anyway, very nice work!

Excellent work! I'm with Artificer: my favorites are the pack basket and the pine needle basket.

I have some eastern needles that are longer than the Ponderosa and yellow pine we have in WA state. They do have a different feel than the eastern needles. I actually find that the local needles are easier to work with. My older brother also makes pine needle baskets from locally grown pines and his baskets are much finer than mine. He is vey artistic in all aspects (paints, draws, crafts of wood, etc.) and sells his crafts. I, on the other hand, make for myself. The only thing I have made and sold was a quiver made like the packbasket but with a finer splint.

Back