• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This weeks ugly knives.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are the two ugly knives for this week. both knives from 1095. The big knife has a 6 1/2 inch blade, 11 inches overall. Elk antler and part of crown held with iron pins.

img_0140m.jpg

The patch and small game knife, 3 7/8 inch blade 7 1/2 inces overall. Handle scales from 100 year old elk antler held with iron pins.

I hope I'm not boring you with my knife making addiction.

Joe

They look like good hard working knives to me. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more.
Rob

Joe Yanta said:
Here are the two ugly knives for this week. both knives from 1095. The big knife has a 6 1/2 inch blade, 11 inches overall. Elk antler and part of crown held with iron pins.

img_0140m.jpg

The patch and small game knife, 3 7/8 inch blade 7 1/2 inces overall. Handle scales from 100 year old elk antler held with iron pins.

I hope I'm not boring you with my knife making addiction.

Joe

Nice knives Joe! I appreciate you posting them, I also would like to know where you are getting your iron/steel for the blades!
:grin:
Davy

I use O-1, 1095, 1084 and sometimes 1075 high carbon steel. I have some 440C and I can heat treat stainless but nothing beats high carbon low chromium steel in my experiences.

I can get the oil hardening steel O-1 locally, the others I get from Admiral Steel. Admiral has always been very accomodative to the hobby and will sell you a single piece of steel. You can find them online and they have an 800 number where you can order by phone.

Dont ever hestitate to try to make a knife. It is easy and always a fun project, you dont need much more than a file and a propane torch. One of the threads I submitted I gave a lengthly treatise on how to shape and heat treat knives.

I have a sweet 110 year old Trenton anvil, Pro-forge, and Paragon heat treating oven. But only if your a knife making addict do you need all that. You can make a very fine knife with nothing more than one K23 firebrick, a Propane torch, file, a drill if you want to pin your handle on and your kitchen oven. Trappers and mountain men could make a very suitable knife with a broken trap spring, a file and a campfire. You can do it with probably what you have around the house if you look for it.

I have a bad habbit of talking way to much. I'm sorry, this is a forum to post pictures.

Thanks for comments, if I can help you with your knife making project feel free to email me.

Joe

don't understand the ugly part :hmm:
rockin good lookin blades

Not boring me Jo, I am interested. About 7 years ago we had this wild rose bush, it had a stock about 1.5 inch in diameter, I said, I'm saving it for a knife handle. FInaly this year I made my first knife, with the rose bush stem. It is very colorful wood. Wished I knew how to add photos.
My next knife will be a patch Knife, so I will be spying on you.

Back