• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This is the way we wash our guns, wash our guns....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I did a quick search through my stuff for period mentions of cleaning guns by washing them with water and found a few which might be interesting to some.

Bouquet's March to the Ohio, the Forges Road (From the Original Manuscript in the William L. Clements Library), edited by Edward G. Williams: The Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. p. 103-4.

“After the Arms have been drawn & fired off they must be washed clean and remain unloaded till further Orders."

About 1785
David Thompson’s Narrative of his Explorations in Western America 1784-1812

“The same evening Wm. Budge, a fine handsome man, John Wellam, and the Indian woman were frying pork and grouse for supper, [when] the smell attracted a Polar Bear, who marched to the Tent, and around it, his heavy tread was heard, and no more cooking thought of. As usual in the evening, the fowling pieces were being washed and cleaned, and were then not fit for use, but there was a loaded musquet.”

An Essay on Shooting, Wm. Cleator

114 “There is a curious circumstance attending the shot of barrels, which is, that sometimes the grains of lead, in place of being equally distributed over the space they strike, are thrown in clusters of ten, twelve, fifteen or more, whilst several considerable spaces have not a single grain in them”¦. Mons de Marolles says, that this is especially the case when the barrels are new and also when they are fresh washed.”

207 “ A fowling-piece should not be fired more than twenty, or five and twenty times, without being washed;”

Instructions to Young Sportsmen in All that Relates to Guns and Shooting, P. Hawker

pg. 47 “Let your barrels be first washed perfectly clean with cold, and then fill each of them with hot water; which by the time it has nearly run out at the touchhole, will accelerate their being wiped dry, as much as though boiling water had been used; and before they have completely discharged the water; stop the muzzles and touchholes; and after shaking it up and down in the barrels, turn it out at the muzzles, by which means you will effectually stir up and expel any extraneous matter that may have lodged in the bottom of the chambers.

“I have recommended washing guns with cold water, from having found that it always more readily removes the foulness occasioned by the powder, which, from sudden heat, is apt, at first, to dray and adhere more closely to the caliber: whereas with cold water, it remains in a moist state, and immediately mixes."
Spence

More evidence of global warming - there used to be Polar Bears in Western America :haha: .

The last paragraph, referring to using cold water, is interesting.

Perchance, "Western America" refers to the continent rather than the country probably referring to the area west of northern Ontario.

(I'd rather face a grizzly than a polar bear. Hunters purposely get upwind of polar bears to draw them in for an easy meal before dispatching them.)

How about an ice bear- white phase of everyday black bears.

I'm fascinated by Hawker's remarks about hot vs cold. Seems to follow some of the discussions here, but with additional insights.

Same way to wash lead off hands, etc. Cold water keeps it hard and manually removeable -- hot will make it go into solution and/or stick to things. Same as grease -- you don't initially wash it with hot water -- it "melts" and physically is almost impossible to remove in a washing machine then -- like cleaning a candle spill, first you wait for it to harden and then crack off as much as you can, LATER applying something to dissolve and remove whatever else didn't come out...

"Same way to wash lead off hands, etc. Cold water keeps it hard and manually removeable -- hot will make it go into solution and/or stick to things."

I.....er......uh......whaaaat? :confused: Cold water keeps the lead hard? How cold are you talking about? Hot water makes it go into solution???? How hot are you talking about? :youcrazy: Metallic lead and lead oxide are not water soluble. :nono: (See references) Washing with soap does not dissolve the lead nor its oxides, it simply removes them in the same manner it does common dirt. The soap breaks the mechanical bonds between your skin and the lead and allows the water to simply wash it away. Hot water does not dissolve these compounds, it only makes the soap more efficient in breaking any mechanical bonds by dissolving any oils on the skin. Cold water will work but the soap is just less efficient in cold water. And that's a fact! :thumbsup:

Reference: http://www.flashcomfg.com/downloads/MSDS-LEAD.pdf Section III Physical Data
http://www.fishersci.com/msds?prod...C22111-0050&vendorId=VN00032119&storeId=10652
Section 9 Physical and Chemical Properties

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen! Heat also warms the barrel steel or iron for quicker dry out but also encourages oxidation.
Still, before the days of water displacing oil, was the preferred way to proceed, in my opinion. Mike D.

I'm also at a loss as to the "physics"/
"chemistry" (?) in his post. I know I draw the line at washing MY hands in 400+ degree water. :shocked2:

On skin it has to do with warm water opening pores and absorption of lead there...

Patocazador said:
Perchance, "Western America" refers to the continent rather than the country probably referring to the area west of northern Ontario.

(I'd rather face a grizzly than a polar bear. Hunters purposely get upwind of polar bears to draw them in for an easy meal before dispatching them.)

Yes. David Thompson roamed throughout Canada and northwestern US in his long career with the NorthWest Co. and the Hudson Bay Co., including spending some time up on Hudson's Bay itself, where I'm sure he became aquainted with the polar bear. He had a number of later encounters with the grizzly, as well, and knew the difference between them.

That last entry, describing pouring water in the bore, sloshing it around, and pouring back out the muzzle is exactly as I do. I'll use whatever water I have on hand, hot or cold. Some tow on my wiping stick to scour the bore, wipe with more dry tow, and lube with animal oil, and done. Couldn't be simpler.

Rod

"know I draw the line at washing MY hands in 400+ degree water."

Water turns to steam at 212 degrees F. How do you get 400 degree water?

Rod L said:
Yes. David Thompson roamed throughout Canada and northwestern US in his long career with the NorthWest Co. and the Hudson Bay Co., including spending some time up on Hudson's Bay itself, where I'm sure he became aquainted with the polar bear.
The incident took place to the west and probably north of York Factory and Churchill. They got to know this particular polar bear very well, inside and out.

At length Bruin found the door, and thrust in his head and neck, the Tent Poles prevented further entrance. Budge climbed up the tent poles and left Mellam and his indian woman to fight the Bear, the former snatched up the Musket, it snapped; seizing it by the muzzle he broke off the stock on the head of the Bear, and then with hearty blows applied the barrel and lock to his head ; the indian woman caught up her axe on the other side of the door, and in like manner struck Bruin on the head, such an incessant storm of blows, [as] made him withdraw himself ; he went to the Hoard and began to tear it in pieces, for the game; a fowling piece was quickly dried, loaded with two balls, and fired into him, the wound was mortal, he went a few paces and fell, with a dreadful growl. Budge now wanted to descend from the smoky top of the Tent, but the Woman with her axe in her hand heaped wood on the fire, and threatened to brain him if he came down. He begged hard for his life, she was determined, fortunately Mellam snatched the axe from her, but she never forgave him, for the indian woman pardons Man for everything but want of courage, this is her sole support and protection, there are no laws to defend her. The next morning on examining the head of the Bear, the skin was much bruised and cut, but the bone had not a mark on it.
Back to washing our guns with water instead of Windex.

Spence

George said:
Back to washing our guns with water instead of Windex.
Spence
Always figured if Windex was really required, there'd not be a single antique gun left in the world! :wink: :haha:

I find it interesting i used room temp water for the first rinse and scrub then hot rest of the time never know why just way i was shown i now use a bore brush and mop now and clean up is much easier and faster

Latest posts

Back