• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This could have been bad !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was At A Turkey shoot yesterday. Among our Group was a new shooter. He had a traditions Flintlock that would not go off. Was giving Him help when i noticed He had a piece of cloth Patching holding In his Flint. Told him right off that was a no-no!! He said that is the only way a He can get the Flint to stay In.Finally got Him to understand that the Cloth can/ will hold A Spark and when He dumps Powder down the barrel or Primes there is going to be an Explosion and somebody Is going to get hurt !! Rigged Him up with A piece of leather and everything went fine.......

Good catch. That's one of those "may never have been a problem" practices that you don't want to be the one poor statistical fluke who does it and loses his eyebrows or much worse.

Char cloth + priming powder = "Foosh!" and likely "Bang!"

Rifleman1776 said:
I have trouble understanding guys who get ml's and start trying to use them without seeking guidance first.

That's covered in The Man's Prayer heard every night at the Possum Lake Lodge:

I'm a man,
But I can change,
If I have to,
I guess.
:wink:

Or as my daughter explains:

It takes a million sperm to fertilize a single egg, because not a one of them will stop to ask for directions. :haha:

and the other famous Red Greene saying,,"If it ain't broke,,you just ain't trying hard enough"

Guy needs a mentor afore he dumps from his horn (or can!) and takes out a few folks!! I had a mentor, believe everybody can use one for at least first few trips o the range (and/or till he dryballs)

When I was a teen back in the 70's and first started shooting blackpowder there wasn't anyone else around who knew anything about them. Fortunately there were lots of books and magazines for me to learn from.

Started shooting in the early 80`s. The Club I joined, and learned a lot from, was run by my uncle, A WW2 Airborne Vet. He insisted on safety and would put on little demonstrations of what could happen if mistakes were made. Guess It kinda stuck with Me ??

When I started reloading fixed cartridges, there was no internet & nobody who didn't think I was nuts.

Bet I wore out 3-4 kinetic bullet pullers before I got the general hang of it.

I was better off with bp. I had watched every episode of Disney's Davie Crockett and had therefrom an idea of how that kind of shooting worked.

azmntman said:
Guy needs a mentor afore he dumps from his horn (or can!) and takes out a few folks!! I had a mentor, believe everybody can use one for at least first few trips o the range (and/or till he dryballs)

Yikes!!! :doh: What a mental picture this draws. I used to truly believe that the vast majority of people where not stupid, they where just uninformed. I have since changed to the notion that nope, there are a BUNCH of people in the world who are just dumb as rocks.

And ditto on the mentor.

Back