• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Things to Know About Muzzleloading - From Soup to Nuts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been Muzzleloading for 50 years now and learn something new on this forum all of the time. I never worried about the size of a round ball until these last few years when I started using a 530 grain bullet and paper patch and only then did I realize lead expands over time.

I just made a couple of my Grandson's Hawkens. One called me and ask what size of powder should he purchase. I told him rule of thumb said 50 caliber and smaller 3F and if is larger than 50 - 2F and explained to them that it changes from gun to gun.

What are the things to know about MLing for both the old timers and beginners alike that comes to mind?

I've been shooting muzzleloaders for years. Never really knew anyone that was involved, so I'm pretty much self taught from books and magazines.
Since being on this and another forum, I have learned alot about other people's experiences.
For example, I've only ever used .490 round balls.
There's a guy on the other forum, Idaho Lewis who put up a video that shows him shooting the .495 round ball. Very impressive accuracy. I just ordered some for myself to try. So I think that you could always learn something new.

Be very careful to not get distracted while loading.

There are many different loads that can be used. For example, in a .50 caliber rifle I sometimes load 50 gr of 2f, a wad of wasp nest, bare .495 ball and another wad of wasp nest on top. Surprisingly accurate and easy to load.

One of my favorite plinking loads in a .50 caliber is 50 gr of 2f and a .454 round ball in a thick, spit lubed patch. Easy to load and minute of groundhog accuracy to 50 yards.

I’d rather shoot rifles from a rest than offhand. I like being able to hit what I’m shooting at.

Real black powder is better than substitutes. Substitutes will work in percussion guns but not so well in flintlocks. I’ve used substitutes in flintlocks but it just ain’t worth the trouble.

Nothing beats plain water for cleaning. Just my opinion here.

That’s enough for now😁.

Loading safety. never put your face over the bore, never put your hand over the ramrod, insure the ball is on the powder, never cap until you are ready to shoot, always use a brass, horn, or wood powder measure and cap your powder horn. If the cap goes off but not the main charge, remember that a rifle that fails to fire when a cap goes off can fire minutes later. Keep the rifle pointed down range.

This one is subject to controversy: For a newbie at muzzleloading and before marking the ramrod I have told my grandkids to bounce the ramrod to make sure the bullet is seeded with no air pockets. For hunting I have not seen much difference and have read one blog where the person said it improved his group.

Back