• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why We Celebrate Today the Way We Do....,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The Declaration of Independence was submitted on July 2nd 1776..., it was ratified and signed on July 4th, 1776. Here is what John Adams wrote about the occasion of The Declaration of Independence...

"The second day of July 1776 will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, [FIREWORKS] from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

So there you have it boys and gentlemen..., although the idea that it really was just paper until voted on and signed on the 4th is why we do this today. We ARE supposed to have entertainments, shoot off our muzzleloaders and cohorns and artillery (what could be more appropriate?) and have fireworks displays, gathering together as neighbors to do so.

(That's why this is in the General Muzzleloading section, as fireworks shells guns mortars and artillery are all muzzleloaders, don't ya know?)

I will be journeying to a neighboring state, as my home is where it is illegal to launch fireworks, as well as to fire blanks through my mortar. OH and I'm contributing Fish House Punch to the gathering.... 'cause that's appropriate too.... :thumb:

LD

7- 4-22   July 4th = This holiday made possible by citizens with guns.jpeg

The guns weren't illegal... shooting at the King's men was, however..., 😁

Lexington and Concord were the results of the British trying to grab ammo and powder..., which was privately owned folks, because the British had no way of dealing with the individually owned guns, but a gun that doesn't sport a bayonet, and has no powder, was a wall-hanger. ;)

British sailors were requested by Lord Dunmore the Royal Governor of Va to come into Williamsburg on April 19th, and on the night of the 20th, they removed powder from the Colony of Virginia powder magazine (still standing to this day), and took it to a waiting British ship anchored nearby in The James River. Ironic, as the people in Virginia knew nothing of what had happened in Massachusetts that same day.

LD