• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thickest Piller Tickin you can get?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cause us,missouri boys only use .310dia ball and then we patch up for each cal :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sounds about right, considerin' it's hard to dig a hole in Missora without turnin' up some galena. :shake:

Wick Ellerbe said:
If you think you need patching that thick, I would say you need a larger ball.

Good observation.

I have .010", .015", .017/18", and .022". From them I can double patch and get all kinds of thicknesses if necessary: .025", .027", .030", etc. At some point You'll likely get blow-by as the seal will be overly compressable.

A old bit of leather works fine in my Musket for using smaller ball combos it makes a good seal,And really seems to BLAST em out
2x 60 cal balls leather patch/wad in the 76 cal barrel
fun stuff.

That may help you..

You can get lots of old scrap leather jackets/coats for 1-5$$ at most used clothing depots,salvation army sales, and cut it into all kinds of usefull configurations.

Cheers

Headhunter said:
Where and how thick is the Thickest Piller Ticking out there? Is there a .022 or Thicker?

Thanks,

Headhunter

I use just a heavy linen cloth, I get mine from James Townsend and Son, its a tight weave and it will measure about .020 to .022. I shoot a .52 round ball out of my .54 bore. Its a Rice barrel, Round bottom CUT rifling .016 deep. Its shoot real well, I don't need to mess with a SHORT STARTER, which it something I hate to do, just wasting time as far as I'm concerned unless your shooting bench rest match. Kind of like priming with 4f, I just use the 3f out of my horn and it never gives me any problems.
Jeff

I am just doing some experimenting with different patch thicinesses. Nothing else. I do know about the larger ball deal, But that is not what I am after.

Just thicker patches is all.

Thanks,

HH

Let's see now the question was "is there .022 pillow ticking out there" I'd have to say no, or at least if there is, I've never seen it and I've been thru a lot of fabric stores with a micrometer. Past about .018 I start looking for
denim.

I have in my hand at this writing a yard of red and white ticking that I got from Hobby Lobby in Amarillo that has been washed twice to get the sizing out, and it mikes .024".

Headhunter: Go to a fabric store and request "Matress" ticking it's thicker and tighter weave,also request for it to be 100% cotton.
Halfstock

Let's see now the question was "is there .022 pillow ticking out there" I'd have to say no, or at least if there is, I've never seen it and I've been thru a lot of fabric stores with a micrometer.

I got some from JoAnne's Fabrics. Blue strip cotton tick that mics 0.021/0.022" Bought all six yards they had on the bolt.

I have trouble finding the 0.015" and ended up buying a bunch of the uncut material from Ox-Yoke at ungodly prices through T.O.T.W. (about twice what I'd of paid at a fabric store), but is is nice, consistant stuff.

I mic the way I was taught - three clicks on the clutch of my Starrett. None of this honk down so much it bends and distorts the mic bow as called for in certain "accuracy systems" I have heard about. I don't have a torque wrench that fits my micrometer so I have no other way of measuring consistantly. :winking:

My blue ticking is about .018 or so, I couldnt figure why this red stuff was so much heavier. It is 100% cotton. Maybe it is mattress ticking. I didnt read the end of the bolt other than to see that it was cotton. Betcha I go back and look the next time we go get groceries.

Latest posts

Back