• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The use of lead shot in a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch@Ball

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I bought a friends Pedersoli trade gun. Do I need to only use soft lead shot or can I use hard lead shot? Thanks!

Any lead shot is fine for ML shotguns. The barrels are not built for steel shot and damage can/will occur. Pedersoli does make some barrels with a "chromed" bore and they can handle steel shot. I had a Pedersoli dbl and asked them about steel shot. They responded back to me that my gun had chrome lined bores and could safely handle steel shot. Other than that, NO.

The barrels need to be made for steel shoot, Pedersoli barrel are not design for steel shoot
Shoots fine out of mine...I don't see any damage or gouging in the barrel. I do not have choked barrels though...I use mine for water fowl hunting and I use Steel shot.

I don't see this as a hard "yes" or "no"...more of a personal choice.

Any lead shot, chilled, magnum, copper plated or nickle plated will not hurt your trade gun period! Neither will bismuth/tin mix, or standard ITX, and Nice Shot. I shoot bismuth/tin in all my smooth bores. Good shooting.

Sir. The fact Pedersoli chrome plate their shotgun barrel is correct.
The assumption that it is to facilitate the use of steel iron shot is wrong!
It is to aid cleaning and protection from corrosion only.
It is safe to use steel or iron shot in their muzzleloaders when an interface between barrel wall and shot are used just the same as any commercially loaded ammunition use today!
I have used a card wrap in the past. Some success and no damage.

The choice is the individual's as to whether or not to use a protective layer betwixt the barrel and steel shot. I personally dont see it doing much harm but please dont assume wrongly regarding the chrome plating in Pedersoli barrels. It is very thin!
Pedersoli have been asked many times about steel shot and safety because bizarrely many believe that using it will raise pressures. Probably born due to the availability of current high performance ammunition for modern breach loaders and warnings of their use in older and weaker shotguns!

Seems to me that the same volume of steel shot as lead shot would actually reduce the pressure. Steel is lighter than lead.
Steel is also much more abrasive. In my guns, on the rare occasion I use shot, I always use a compression wadded shot cup finger lubed with a small dab of mink. That way, I don't have to worry about it for any reason.

If we are talking about sxs sporting guns on repros with steel barrels the steel shot would be ok if use has a standard load . It is totally different on original guns with Damascus barrel which are too soft a material and steel caused a lot of harm , When the plastic wad became used in modern guns it was tried in original barrels . It and steel shot ruined many Damascus barrels steel scored the bore and plastic from the wads using black powder was burnt onto the bore wall with constant use caused barrel ripple this I found in many restorations that came my way . plastic and black powder are a poor combination.
Feltwad

If we are talking about sxs sporting guns on repros with steel barrels the steel shot would be ok if use has a standard load . It is totally different on original guns with Damascus barrel which are too soft a material and steel caused a lot of harm , When the plastic wad became used in modern guns it was tried in original barrels . It and steel shot ruined many Damascus barrels steel scored the bore and plastic from the wads using black powder was burnt onto the bore wall with constant use caused barrel ripple this I found in many restorations that came my way . plastic and black powder are a poor combination.
Feltwad
That's why I use a light greasing of mink on the plastic wad cups. I have seen no deposits at all in mine. However, that said, I have shot less than 50 of such rounds out of the Bess.
Powder - over powder card, shot cup, shot then over shot card. All cards are lubed with mink.

Powder - over powder card, shot cup, shot then over shot card. All cards are lubed with mink.

This as described above would eliminate issues with plastic shot cups leaving deposits behind, and if you've an aversion to the plastic then heavy construction paper will serve as a fine shot cup in it's own right.

Back