• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Red Coats are Coming--Long Range Flintlocking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I suspect the targeting of officers etc. was especially effective and would have been a perfect assignment for accurate riflemen. At 200 yards, from a good rest, knocking a colonel off his horse would be very "doable."

I held over the targets with the sights level and found that worked very well at 200, where the holdover was only a couple feet. It was definitely more of a problem at 300 where the holdover was more like 7 or 8 feet. We tended to pick spots in the branches and leaves etc. over the 300 yard targets and use them as "aiming points." That works on the range, but would not work so well on a more fluid battlefield with moving troops.

Barry and Eric did work with holding a high front sight and that technique has definite potential, but requires a good bit of "sighting in" time. Of course once you know what works at 150, 200, 250 etc., you are good to go, if you can estimate range well. And for the longer ranges you'll need a pretty high front sight. It does seem that most of the original 18th century long rifles I have seen, or seen photos of, have tiny sights--I don't know how they shot them so well. :idunno: But what do I know? I have benefitted from 20th century glasses and 21st century laser surgery :surrender:

cgg said:
And for the longer ranges you'll need a pretty high front sight. It does seem that most of the original 18th century long rifles I have seen, or seen photos of, have tiny sights--I don't know how they shot them so well.

Good point!

A couple of British Officers mentioned the Head shots at 200 and Body shots at 300. Hanger and the Jaeger Captain Ewald. Hanger also told about the time he, Tarleton and a bugler were setting on there horses out side a British camp. A lone rifleman took a shot at them from 400 yards. The ball passed between Tarleton and Hanger hitting the buglers horse! It is funny the American officers knew very little about their riflemen but the British officers had a good idea!
With my 54 flint rifle my 300 yard sight picture
is roughly 1/2 inch between the bottom of the front sight and the top of the rear sight. I may not be describing it well but it "looks like" 1/2
inch. We shoot a redcoat target on the Widowmaker
match at Friendship. I have no idea where they get them. They are skinny little fellows!
:thumbsup:

It is generally believed that Tim Murphy killed British general Fraizer at the battle of Saratoga from the unheard of distance of 300 yards. The leadership vacuum caused the British lines to breakdown causing the British to ose the battle causing the French to think we had a winnable war. The net result of one well aimed shot the American Revelution was won, with a little help from our friends......watch yer top knot........

grzrob said:
With my 54 flint rifle my 300 yard sight picture
is roughly 1/2 inch between the bottom of the front sight and the top of the rear sight. I may not be describing it well but it "looks like" 1/2
inch.

I get what your saying, and if I'm picturing your half inch right, that's in the realm of what I do with 44 mag handgun for similar ranges. Given the fact that I'm only starting the load at 1100 fps, the conical advantage wouldn't be too great over a faster starting RB. Good guess anyway.

grzrob said:
We shoot a redcoat target on the Widowmaker
match at Friendship. I have no idea where they get them. They are skinny little fellows!
:thumbsup:

I asked about getting some of those Redcoat targets from the Widowmaker for my club shoot awhile back. I learned that they were designed expressly for that match, and are not used or even released for ANYTHING else. Believe me, I tried hard to get them.

That's why I was glad to see another Redcoat target idea show up here on the forum. Oh, the possibilities!

You mentioned a "Widowmaker" match at Friendship? I am not familiar with that--I have never shot any muzzleloader competitions. Do you know what the Widowmaker course of fire is? Thanks--

Back