• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The "OFF HAND" underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sekiar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The brown truck came today and left me a very nice Hopkins & Allen .36 caliber underhammer rifle. The gun has a 20-inch barrel and a nice walnut stock. The packing job was great as was the service from Joe & Suzi of THE GUN WORKS MUZZLELOADING EMPORIUM. If my memory is correct this is the fourth rifle that I have purchased from them. Also was included a new catalog. If any one happens to have one of their catalogs you can see a photo of a 4 and a 8-gauge big game rifle on the front cover. The first rifle I purchased from Joe was the 4-gauge as shown. If you are looking for a nice muzzleloader please check out their www and if you find something you like it will be as described. Will add a photo later of the underhammer. :thumbsup:

Here she is!!
airgunbmw468.jpg

I have an offhhand model in 36 but i have to shoot a 340 ball! The bore is way undersize and the rifling is extrememely deep. Kind of an oddball but its alot of fun. I have another round barrel H&A that a frend has. Its a buggy rilfe in bad shape that is due for a rebarrel or recut. It may be born again as a 58cal.
Ed

Sekiar,
These H&A underhammers are a lot of fun and some are downright accurate. The 20" barreled guns were called "buggy" rifles and the "offhand" had, I think, 32" barrels. Based on that and the lack of a fore arm I think your rifle barrel may have been cut down. You are right about the bore being tight.
Mark

nice find! does it have the pin holes for the forend pins? is the receiver drilled for the "lollipop" rear sight? have you shot it yet?

It does have the tapped hole for the peep sight. Now if I could find one it would suite these old eyes just fine. I can see no sign of the gun ever having a wood forarm. No pin holes or any sign of one being mounted. The rifle's size is the very same as the Buggy Rifle with the name of the Off Hand. I have a H&A in .45 caliber that is a Off Hand and it's not the same as this one. If it was cut down it was done by a good smith, as I can see no sign that it has. In any case any underhammer works just fine for me.

"offhand" was a model designation by hopkins and allen. offhand shooting is usually standing without sling or support. i like to refer to it as "standing on your hind legs and shootin' like a man!" :grin:

Joined some shooters at Ozark57 this after noon and shot my .36 caliber underhammer.. I was using .350 round balls and they were really tight and some what hard to load. I didn't have any thiner patch material to use. It seemed to be doing just fine in sending the lead down range. Will try a thinner patch and a better ram rod next time and see how she does. A keeper for sure. Any underhammer is well suited for this old lefty.

Sekiar,
You will find that most of the Numrich barrels are cut very tight. I have come home from the range a number of times with a load of holes in my tee shirt or hankerchief due to needing thinner patches.
Mark

I decided to drop ball size since the rifling was extremely deep. I stayed with a heavier patch to keep from blow by. Seemed to be the ticket.
ED

Nice rifle, Sekiar. :thumbsup:

Regarding your loading difficulty, you don't want to use a thin patch in a deep-groove barrel due to the probability of gas blow-by. Coning the muzzle is one option to consider. It will allow for much easier starting of the patched ball.

I think we are all talking about the same barrels on the H&A's, Numrich. I have had quite a number over the years and have always found them to have very shallow rifling. I usually change the barrels out pretty quick if I am going to keep and shoot them.
Mark

I have one just like it. I got mine new, came with a scissors type .343 bullet mold. Shoots well with original loading data and mold.

Mine is also marked "offhand" and is 20” long. Yes it had no forearm and deeper rifling then the later ones.

Nice find

Tinker2

Sure glad to know that at least two of these short .36 caliber rifles out there. I looked mine over real close and was pretty sure it hadn't been chopped down. I've seen a number of different H&A underhammers thatjust didn't fit perfectly with what adv. photos I've seen in the past. :thumbsup:

Welcome the the Underhammer Family. You'll find that little gun will want brothers and sisters to keep it company the more you shoot it. They are fun, easy, and accurate guns to shoot. :thumbsup:

Sekiar said:
It does have the tapped hole for the peep sight.

They are tough to find. This one was custom made. It's a copy of the original style.

P5210058.jpg

P5210059.jpg

P5210062.jpg

Thanks for the photos of the peep sight. If I can not locate one I believe I'll just make one, as it doesn't look that hard. I have a Off Hand H&A rifle with a long barrel and without ramrod or provisions for same. Also have a H&A pistol and a target pistol and a target rifle(different makes), all underhammer. I have not shot either of the target models, however that will change before too long.

Back