• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The "OFF HAND" underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed C. said:
I have an offhhand model in 36 but i have to shoot a 340 ball! The bore is way undersize and the rifling is extrememely deep.

I got a .36 too.
Any ideas on where to get a mold for a .340 ball? :confused:
I got .350 and .330 - both don´t seem perfect to me. Didn´t get as good results so far as I was hoping to. The .340 might be the right one. :thumbsup:

:hmm: How much powder do you guys load in your .36 underhammers?

Sekiar

Show us pictures of all the different underhammers please.

If you are going to make one? This is what the parts look like.
peepplace.jpg

peepparts.jpg

peep.jpg

Good luck
Tinker2

Papa I'm very interested in purchasing the peep sight. It would be very helpful for the sorry old eyes. Just let me know what you want and maling address.

romeoh said:
Any ideas on where to get a mold for a .340 ball?
Romeoh

I see the original H&A scissors type molds in .343 on E-bay on and off.

:hmm: How much powder do you guys load in your .36 underhammers?

The original loading data that came with the new gun when I got it, by most standards, is excessive.

I don’t use heavy loads as a rule but my .36 H&A likes 70 grains of 3fff
That is what my original loading data that came with it called for.
I thought that 70 grains must have been intended for the .45 caliber guns but that is what my .36 shoots best with.

Approach with caution

Tinker2

Thanks Tinker2! Thanks a lot! :hatsoff:
I didn´t know so far that those molds exist. :surrender:
I´ll keep my eyes open for one. :grin:

If anyone should see one of these molds - please be so kind to tell me about it in a PT!! :bow:

70grs is much more than I would have expected. :shocked2: I must admit that my target load for my .54cal Hawken is lower. :haha:
This forum is such a great place! I really had a hard time finding anything here on our side of the big pond about it. Looks like very few of these guns found their way here. And even less still exist. Could even be that mine is the "last of the Mohicans". :grin:

Here´s a pic of mine by the way.
SANY0240.jpg

Thanks for the great photo of the sight. I have a nos Beeman airgun peep sight that looks like it can be adapted without too much work. What I need to know is the screw size that the sight screws into on the action. The fill plug screw is too short for me to determine the threads per inch. Although it looks like the diameter is near 1/4-inch. Also in front of the peep sight screw is another screw abour 1/2-inch forward. With both screws I believe I can mount the Beeman sight so it will be sturdy enough. Charles

Tinker2 said:
peep.jpg

Good luck
Tinker2

Can you tell me who makes the rear Iris? I have one also but can't figure out where I can get more.

Romeoh, you need to contact Jeff Tanner in England. He can make any size mold you need. His molds fit in Lyman handles, the molds are brass and do not have sprue cutters.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

I have one of his in .64 and it works well.

Many Klatch

I was able to catch a few .340 roundballs in an auction.
Tried them today. Now I´m on the right track... :grin: :thumbsup:

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction! :bow:

Here's a photo of the underhammer with better sights. I replaced the front sight with a globe sight and the rear sight with a nice up/down left/right adjustable Beeman airgun sight.
airgunbmw499.jpg

gmww said:
Also look at available buck shot. Hornady 000 is .350. Hornady 00 is .33. Might be worth seeing if they might work for you.

Unfortunatly not. :(
Got moulds for both sizes. None of them works as well as the .340s now do.

It was a warm 64 degrees in the Ozarks today and that brought out my .36 underhammer with the new sighting arrangement for a test run at my 30yd range. I ended up using a .350 Hornady ball with a .01 patch and 28 grains of 3F. After sighting the rifle in I shot about 7 rounds at a 1 1/2-inch circle and all but one was either inside or touching the target. I happy with that because I'm now ready to experiment with different measures of the black. It hard to beat a good underhammer rifle or pistol.

gmww said:
Tinker2 said:
peep.jpg

Good luck
Tinker2

Can you tell me who makes the rear Iris? I have one also but can't figure out where I can get more.

Are you asking about the whole peep sight or just the adjustable part of the iris?

Tinker2

:v I think that it's time to designate a new group dedicated to underhammers. Mine was assembled from an old Deer Creek kit, also in .36 cal. and almost a twin to yours. That peep rear sight is a grand idea---wouldn't mind finding one lie it. I use the sights that came with the kit and frankly I find the gun to be a fantastic shooter ( I hate that term "Tack Driver ) but it describes it to a "T". I am going to think of an name for the group of those that are privileged to own at least one of these noble guns. I have another that I purchased back in the 60's from Numrich arms for $19.95. It is their Buggy Rifle in .45 and is also a very accurate piece. :hmm: "Lollipop Guild ?," Underhanded Guild ?, :hmm: ......???? "Doc"

The whole round peep sight portion. (Round disc and moving parts too) I have one but can't figure out who made it. Mine fits on a Lyman sight but I don't see it in the Lyman products. :hmm:

Back