• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THE MUZZLELOADING FORUM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You might say that I am just blowing smoke and maybe I am, but this forum for Traditional Muzzleloaders, has to be the best thing for all of us who read and use it!

Today's black powder shooting industry has changed ten fold since the day of it's reintroduction back in the late 60's and 70's!

Gone are the large varieties of reproduction historic arms offered by companies like Navy Arms Company, as well as others during the years just prior and after our Bi-Centenial of 1976,when a reproduction factory black powder firearm wasn't the cost of a good used car in today's dollars.

Black powder and especially MUZZLELOADING clubs and organizations were popping up all over the country and TRULY everyone associated with the pastime was enjoying a re-birth of the American Spirit.

While reading the threads relating to the "DOOM and GLOOM" of Traditional muzzleloading, as well as, reading magazine articles, mass media advertising about modern M/L guns etc. It's truly great to see that we have a large Traditional Muzzleloading following and Spirit still alive through this forum!

Now there are those that may try to over annolize the term and word "Traditional", but all of you who have been around more than a day or two know exactly what I mean. One main aspect of this Traditional pastime is the love of history and all the things associated with it.

It seems that we question or mumble too much about those modern design muzzleloader guns, but those shooters can't enjoy all the related things that are direct "spin-offs" of what we enjoy including: Gun building, clothing, re-enactment, knife making, Blacksmithing, Historical Research and the list is endless! There is probably no other shooting sport that can boast more Craftsman and Artists, both professional, semi-professional and amature in early American skills.

So now that I've vented something that I thought needed said. I again, want to salute Claude, the Moderator's and all of our forum members for a job well done and a place for TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADERS to meet new friend's with mostly people that they will never meet and a place for the new people wanting information on "How TO" learn and do! :hatsoff:

My challenge: In the next year, take 10 people out and let them shoot a Traditional muzzleloader. If one or more seemed to really enjoy the experience...Do it a second time!....Then tell them about this forum! You just might of recruited a new TRADITIONAL shooter and we need new blood in our ranks!

That's how my stick floats and thanks,
Rick

I started yesterday, a young fellow I work with bought an inline but really knows nothing about muzzleloaders, or shooting for that matter, I invited him to come and sight it in at my place, before he arived I got my .50 cal flinter out to sight in for deer season and shot a generous amount of 9's and 10's on the target at 50 yds and purposely left the target hanging and the gun dirty. He noticed the target and I said it was shot with my flinter with fixed open sights, there was a clean bull on that target so I told him to shoot at that one, well needless to say he couldn't shoot as good of a group with a scope as I did with open sights. When he had finished I asked himif he would like to shoot a rifle like our forefathers used to win our freedom and he aggreed, so I loaded it up and set him down at the bench, you should have seen the look on his face after that first shot, I said would you like to try again and there was a resounding yes. After that shot he had to leave to take his daughter to soccer but he said he is coming back soon.One seed planted!!
Longball58

Hello from Germany!

Well written!
I also started, but 3 years ago. Meanwhile I guided about 20 guys to the light and make also good steps toward establishing trad. ML hunting in Germany again.

Regards

Kirrmeister

:wink: Aswsome forum!!! :wink:
I think this has to be the best forum I have ever been a member of. Evryone is so willing to help and there are load of awsome people on here, it's great!

:wink: :thumbsup:

horner75 said:
My challenge: In the next year, take 10 people out and let them shoot a Traditional muzzleloader. If one or more seemed to really enjoy the experience...Do it a second time!....Then tell them about this forum! You just might of recruited a new TRADITIONAL shooter and we need new blood in our ranks!

That's how my stick floats and thanks,
Rick

Your Challenge is a GREAT Idea, and if you read my post about. ”When, How, and Why did you get into shooting TML's”, you will se back years ago i ran into some very friendly Traditional Muzzleloading Folks.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/225732/

Sadly during the time when I was a Volunteer Range Safety Officer at the Ben Avery Facility in Phoenix, OVER 8 YEARS, we always tried to steer people toward our USER GROUPS that included long Range Rifle, Rifle & Pistol Silhouette, IDPA, IPSC, and last but not least the Local MuzzleLoading Club. Sadly most of those who were told about the CACTUS CAPPERS reported back that the group was “NOT FRIENDLY” to “NEW PEOPLE”, andthey got the impression new people were not welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well written Horner. :thumbsup: I sepecially like the part about the modern ML guys missing out on the spin-offs of our hobby. Iffin we all take a new guy shootin and then give him something handmade that helps him get started there's hope for the future of BP shootin. GW

Must have been a slow news day today, cuzz I got interviewed by our local public radio station regarding the upcoming primitive weapon deer season. Filled them in on the required certification class, then had the opportunity to talk about "why muzzleloading." Went into some detail about making all my own stuff, just like I build all my own rods and tie all my own flies. The off season and year round preparation leading up to the season itself, being as important as the hunting.

Darned if they didn't run everything I said about the wonders of it all and my reasons for making all my own stuff and all the off season fun. Next thing you know the certification class is filled up. And the phone has been ringing off the hook with folks wanting to learn more about traditional and all the making it yourself stuff.

I know some of the folks that called and know they use inlines. They're real interested in building their own stuff too, and I stopped them in their tracks with one simple question:

"Does anyone sell a kit for making your own inline rifle?" Kinda neat to tell them how special it is to shoot a rifle you made yourself, much less to hunt with it and take game.

Made a bunch of converts to traditional right there! Lots of interest in shooting more often, and none of it having to do with the inlines they already have in their gun racks.

Now it occurs to me that most of the points I made about making your own stuff comes from right here on The Muzzleloading Forum.

Thanks Claude, and everyone else who outfitted me for the conversation and all the other stuff I been doing! :hatsoff:

Way to go Brownbear. That is the attitude. I'll be taking my ML this year to deer camp when everyone is there (usually only take em when I want to hunt alone). Will give everyone a chance to try it out. :thumbsup:
BTW -- thank you for Sarah too :grin:

Thanks Parson.

Just got a surprising update. Got an email from friends down in Juneau, and statewide public radio picked up the interview. Don't that beat all.

The email was asking about which gun kit to buy, so maybe the whole build-it-yourself angle is a serious leg up on inlines and entry point into their world.

It strikes me that an awful lot of the inline shooters have simply bought into all the advertizing hype about how easy they are to clean. Sure seems that way from the folks I'm talking to.

The friend's email finished with a funny one liner:

Remember, don't go hunting with Dick Cheney!

Don't think I would have enough faith in my gun to take it hunting without you guys and this great forum. It's pretty hard to just read a book and feel like you know what your doing. But I had her out Thursday for a few hours, no luck though.

Went to a public hunting grounds close to home that I had never hunted before, had a hard time finding a stand I liked and about the time the Deer would be moving the wind shifted to the west and really killed my chances of any deer coming down that runway. Oh well it was a really nice day to sit on a blow down, maybe i'll go Saturday night.

Horner,
Thanks! Although you may very well be
preaching to the choir it sure don't hurt to
be reminded on ocassion!
snake-eyes:applause::hatsoff:

Hallo from Belgium,
Great topic, and a great sentiment! :hatsoff:
Here we have a problem on top of all this... We have very strict gun laws, and people who own guns AND shoot them are looked upon as beïng a bit suspect! No way you can go out and go plinking or hunting with a BP gun! From every five gunclubs only one or two allow BP ... :shake: With some good luck I ended up in a club where we are welcome to use BP guns. I ended up shooting a Pedersoli Frontier Flintlock in cal .45. Some 3 or 4 other people where shooting caplocks. Since I started out the flintlock I attrackted quit some attention, and now I am pleased to say that some people start to show interest in this beautifull sport.... We will see where we end up.
In any case: this is a wonderfull forum and I am a daily and keen visitor! I learned a lot from you guys, and just your comments and company make that I do not feel so 'lonely' as a frontstuffer out here! Keep it up!

Well said. :thumbsup: :applause: I will take you up on your challenge and also attempt to introduce 10 people to traditional muzzleloaders in the next year.

snake-eyes said:
Horner,
Thanks! Although you may very well be
preaching to the choir it sure don't hurt to
be reminded on ocassion!
snake-eyes:applause::hatsoff:

John,
I did't want to sound like I'm preaching, but venting some open-minded thoughts and idea's! If you don't do that here....where?

As TRADITIONAL Muzzleloaders, my point is to get more people of this great forum, to try to do something a little extra towards advancing or introducing some new potential people to our fun shooting pastime. I know many do already and I thank them.

Rick

Back