• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The last 5 minutes of the hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It got down to the last 5 minutes of the hunt for me this year, but I got to notch my tag and tie it to a young deer's foot.

I was in my hidey hole about ready to call it for the season, dusk was approaching and my eye sight don't hunt in twilight.

Right as I was about to give in for the season the young antlerless boy came strolling not 10 yards from my spot.

I used a 275 grain TC Hunter bullet, 75 grains of 3F and a Remington #10 cap. Complete pass through.

I had missed an earlier shot hours before on another deer with a PRB. I use conicals for my second shot for ease of loading.

He ain't big, but he will taste good and he is small enough I will just do the skinning and butchering myself. He is hanging in the garage gutted out and packed with ice to rapid cool.

Funny thing is I got him from a hiding spot I have been eyeing for a few years and just never bothered to hide at until today.

So stick to it, hunt until you can't hunt any longer and good luck hunters!

I got a rifle to clean. Which just happens to be a rifle I cobbled together from parts of CVS junk guns. I got the lock from a Hawken Pistol, the Barrel from a Mountain Stalker, the stock, trigger and estucions I got from a Frontier Rifle. I reblued stuff and restained and varnished the stock. Looks pretty spiffy and it has taken meat.

Good to hear from you again.
Congrats on your patience :hatsoff:

No pictures is a little sad but I am still happy for you and you did it with your special rifle. That's way better than my store bought kit!

B :thumbsup:

Congrats CL :thumbsup:

I would love to see the rifle!

I had about cobbling things together sometimes myself.

Congrats again on the deer. :hatsoff:

Cynthialee said:
Thanks guys.

This year I am going to hang the deer for a week before I process the meat. He was young and can be the best meat I have had if I do this well.

Atsa way! Our biggest dilemma when we get such fine animals comes when butchering. It tastes so good you want to slice it nice and thick, but there's less of it, so you feel like you need to slice it thin to make it last. My kind of drama! :thumbsup:

Good to see you posting again. Even better is reading of your successful hunt! :thumbsup:

Whether you're casting roundball, cobbling up a rifle, or hunting, you always seem to end up getting it done.

I have always found the end of the day a most productive time to hunt.

Richard/Grumpa

Grumpa said:
Good to see you posting again. Even better is reading of your successful hunt! :thumbsup:

Whether you're casting roundball, cobbling up a rifle, or hunting, you always seem to end up getting it done.

I have always found the end of the day a most productive time to hunt.

Richard/Grumpa

I agree so much I quit hunting in the morning a few years back. Even though crack of dawn is a good time to shoot deer, it is a cold time of day and I am not yet awake.

I like to catch them coming out of the forest and heading into the pastures.

You did a great save dropping that deer. I prefer mornings although I've done my share of afternoon hunts. The problem, for me, is field dressing in the dark and getting home late with a gun yet to be cleaned. Yes, I'm not wide awake in the morning either; but lots of folks say I'm not wide awake in the evening, either. :idunno:

GREAT to hear from ya! and well done, I will hunt till I cant see sites at 10 yds and you just proved why!

My elk hunt was a dud :( .....full moon, Feds lit the forest up for one of there "prescribed burns" (in near every area I was familiar with), Huricane Rosa came by for a 2-3 day vist and needless to say the critters had changed up their behavior. I found em Tuesday nite, hunted all AM-PM Tuesday and saw a BIG bull, last day I had a cow and calf 30 yds mewing but too thick to see. FUN THO....didnt get a single fax all day :grin:

I'm more of an evening hunting guy too, although I hate gutting, dragging and hanging deer in the dark, I LOVE sleeping in the morning. :grin:

NWTF Longhunter said:
...although I hate gutting, dragging and hanging deer in the dark....

Our generous collection of large brown fuzzies just about precludes evening hunts for that reason. :shocked2:

Cynthialee said:
I got a rifle to clean. Which just happens to be a rifle I cobbled together from parts of CVS junk guns. I got the lock from a Hawken Pistol, the Barrel from a Mountain Stalker, the stock, trigger and estucions I got from a Frontier Rifle. I reblued stuff and restained and varnished the stock. Looks pretty spiffy and it has taken meat.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Back