• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Jezail that defeated the British equipped Brown Bess.....and an old Hakka Gun and

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I think it was just that was made fashion, like its cousin up in Sindh."

That is also likely part of the reason. The Sindh butt stock is especially strange.

Of all the Jazails I've seen/inspected, the Afghans seemed to have settled on two general butt stock styles.

1. The butt stock in the video in Post #1 is common. Note the butt stock is slim and rounded, with a moderate curve. A bit of Persian influence. Every one of this style that I recall was made without a trigger guard.

2. The second common style of butt stock is shown here in the photo. It has a very wide grip area that tapers and narrows
back to the butt cap, with a deeper curve. Most (but not all) of this style show up with trigger guards, unless broken or missing.

Rick

View attachment 289973View attachment 289974
DSC00352 (Medium).JPG
DSC00358 (Medium).JPG

Its an odd stock alright, the jezail.
I think it was just the fashion, like its cousin up in Sindh.

I believe it was effective for the simple reason it was a smaller bore than the musket, heavily charged, and fired from a favourable position in ambush,
Also fired at the biggest target. (thickest group of enemy soldiers)
In the mountains, there was not a chance really of being able to deal with these sharpshooters.
Another thing to take into account wast he practice they got.
Even in the 1940's and maybe even today, I do not know, but at that time these northern hill-men would, when no common enemy was available,
They would shoot at the people in the next village.
Each village had a tower, and sharpshooteers were always watching for an opportunity to shoot at the neighbours.
Of course, in times of war, this sport was put to one side and the common foe was engaged, but when peace returned, this game was again taken up.

This is described very well in Gordon Sinclair's Khyber Caravan.
Also sounds like period Albania.

Back