• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
I remember the most calm morning I have ever experienced while hunting for Ohio whitetail.

It was a cold december morning, the morning was overcast and a soft snow was falling.
You know the kind, snow flakes the size of silver dollars.

It was deafening quiet, nothing was moving. I had taken a stand in a pile of downed trees, there was a wide field of view where deer have been crossing from the woods to a corn field.

The snow was falling straight down, not a breeze to speak of. I sat there for hours, snuggled in my 4-point Hudson's Bay blanket. Armed only with my brown bess and a skinning knife.

I didn't see a deer that day, but that's OK...
I was warm and calm and that is hard for me to do in my high strung life.

I remember a deer hunt that I was on in Iowa about 5 or 6 years ago that was just beautiful.I started out setting up in a downfall,and after I was there a couple of hours it started to snow, I turned and I had company in the brush ,a rabbit!, after a while the flakes were getting bigger and bigger,and visibility was getting short,I decided that I had better get somewhere with a little cover. I started over to a place where some cedars were growing,I found one that had branches touching the ground,and I cut a few branches so I could get in to the center and get out of the weather. I thought that I was in paradise,it was so peacefull.I turned my head to see a coyote coming my way, it walked right past me ,I could of touched it with the barrel of my Hawken ,it never did catch my scent.If I remember right we got around 8 in. of snow that morning,it was the most relaxing hunt that I was ever on.

Back