• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Flint - Frizzen Gap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
How do you set your flint in the jaws of your lock?

The "GAP" between the flint and frizzen is a semi-critical gap that must be scrutinized.

If the flint is set too far in the jaws, the flint will produce very little spark, or it may not even strike the frizzen at all.

A flint set too far out in the jaws will strike the frizzen too high and stall the action or bottom-out in the priming pan, breaking off the tip of your flint and damage the "non-hardend" metal of the pan.

My rule of thumb is to set the flint one-fourth (1/4") of an inch from the bottom of the pan.
(Didderent muzzleloaders will have different gaps, depending on the angle of the jaws and the depth of the primimg pans)

To do this, set and align the flint in the jaws and snug it a little, move the frizzen forewards and slowly lower the hammer to the fired position. Adjust the flint to 1/4 inch from the bottom of the pan.

With the hammer still down, tighten the jaws and restore the hammer to half-cock. Close the frizzen and check the gap.

Is the flint touching the frizzen?
confused.gif

If so, re-adjust the flint to allow a gap between the flint and frizzen.

The flint should hit the frizzen (when fired) about 2/3 the way up the striker plate for maximum sparking efficenty. This will allow the flint to gain more speed before making contact with the frizzen, without the fear of bottoming out in the pan.

Once this GAP is worked out, make a reference point that will not change for setting in new flints and adjusting old ones.

EXAMPLE:
The flint-frizzen gap on my brown bess is the width of my left-hand's thumbnail.

From just barely contacting the frizzen to 1/16" seems to be a safe bet. I can accept how this is very lock dependent and the advice offered from the OP is worth the effort.

"Musketman" passed away in 2011. And is greatly missed.

He's picking flints off the ground where the deer are huge and even elk fall to round balls.
Stump, we all have numbered days. Thats why its important to keep the knowledge going.
Things must be passed to next Generations. It will be on them if they want to make it a part of their life...but it must be passed. Not just the current how to,s but the History as well.

Stay Well. SM

Back