• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Flaming Ball Patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Sunday is was sighting in a .50 caliber New Englander barrel, the shorter one. Had some trouble then found the tang tang screws loose. Tightened the tang screws and the group tightened. Powder charge used was 90 grains of Black MZ, the patches were drill cloth and the lube was Outers Weather R Seal.

One round did something i've never witnessed before. There was a crack from the cap followed with a loud woosh sound then a loud boom. The patch went flaming into the dry grass. i immediately put the fire out. Seen patches smolder before but never flame up.

I have seen many patches light fires, and many more smoulder on the ground. I live in a region where it is extremely dry in summer with extreme fire hazard often extending into October. Only water-based lubes are allowed on most ranges and all rendezvous throughout the fire season. The burning patch is only caused by the use of oil based lubes in my experience. The only times I would personally use them would be while hunting when the gun will be left loaded for an extended time.

Where I live ML shooters will sometimes not shoot in extremely dry weather (if they use RBs & patches) due to the patch issue.

Heck, here in the PNW there have been times where ALL shooting in the NF has been suspended due to fire danger however this is done more as a way to reduce traffic in the woods during high fire danger.

I set fire to the dry grass at the Boulder Rifle Club range when experiment ting with olive oil as a patch lube. Did a bit of study and learned vegetable oils have various ignition temperatures, olive oil being the lowest and peanut oil being highest. That said, I use Moose Milk as range lube and 50/50 lamb tallow/beeswax for field lube.

Could be mistaken but I can't recall ever having a patch so much as smolder. While I use TOW mink oil in the hunting bush Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube is what I mostly use for everything else.

Yes, often. Something went wrong with that shot that caused the patch to flame.

Well, like I said, I had it happen to me too once. I don't know what caused mine either, but it sat there burning like a mini campfire. It may have been ticking that I didn't wash.

true flaming patch story: We held an INDOOR BP shoot at a range (bad idea from get go) and the patchs set fire to the accumulated unburned powder in the concrete floor down range, No amount of stomping could put it out and burned fast like a power trail in the movies.

Back