• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The disaster, the elation and the shame!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been predator hunting this past week. I found where a dog fox was lying up and in the week had a misfire on him!
I visited twice more and I never saw him but knew he was in the overgrown hole with lots of wind blown timber down.
Then yesterday it all changed. A storm arrived in the afternoon. I dug out some old eley primers that I remove the anvil from and crimp the cap so they sit on a nipple secure. They are very potent. I didn't want another misfire from my normally reliable 10g.
I entered the pit hole very very slowly. The wind on my face and the sun illuminating where its lair is. I scanned every step.
I hadn't been in there long when something drew my eye. Across the marshy bottom no more than 17yds there he was. I had disturbed him but with the storm it was confused and it was staring into the sun trying to work me out.

I slowly got the 10g cocked and leveled on the side on fox. I loosed the left barrel loaded with #4 buck.
This is when the disaster started!
You would think wouldn't you that 20 count #4 buck shot at 15 yards would of pulverised Mr fox wouldn't you? But it didn't! Recoil was none existent!
The fox arched up, lunged forward and I frantically like a novice attempted to shoot again without the right barrels hammer cocked!
By the time I did get the second barrel off it was a futile shot!
I reloaded. I pondered the first shot. I think the powder is damp! The gun has been powdered for over a week and I think it needed fresh. The power was certainly down.

What followed next was 2 hours plus looking for blood and searching.
I found three leaves with blood on them and that was it!
20220129_143112.jpg

I did not have Jess with me, I should of gone and got her.
Feeling disappointed I discharged the gun and went home, incidentally the reloaded gun felt much stronger!

All night I was troubled so first thing Sunday morning I was there for fist light. No wind and a little frost. I had Jess and encouraging her she picked up a scent and followed a line. This gave me hope.
Eventually after a few attempts we ended up in a wooded slang of trees, beech, chestnuts and maples when I notice Jess take off on a line nose to the ground. Next was her growling that sounded like sweet music to my ears. She had found it!

I don't know what went wrong with the shot but do suspect damp powder. As many know, no oil goes in my breaches at all!
Just one buckshot passed through its chest and one through the flesh of a foreleg.
I am glad I got him but it was a shameful affair! Had I just used #5 or #4 shot it would of worked out much better!
20220130_082512.jpg

You and Jess have a world class act going on. Bless you both and keep it going. My German Short Hair pointer is a clown show , and hates the cold , minus 6 F. , outside. Very therapeutic creature for us old folk. You and Jess bring back memories of hunts in the past for me.........oldwood

Loved the video and got a good laugh watching Jess. And that's one big fox too. I've never been impressed with buckshot. In my LEO days I found buckshot at 25 yards from the cars pump gun was a coin toss at best. Occasionally a target would would get hit somewhere with a pellet or two, but mostly not. I had better luck throwing rocks. I consider buckshot not much more than an "across the room" load.

Loved the video and got a good laugh watching Jess. And that's one big fox too. I've never been impressed with buckshot. In my LEO days I found buckshot at 25 yards from the cars pump gun was a coin toss at best. Occasionally a target would would get hit somewhere with a pellet or two, but mostly not. I had better luck throwing rocks. I consider buckshot not much more than an "across the room" load.
For all the patterning in summer that looked very good, when it came to crunch time it didn't work. OK OK, something was wrong with the burn for sure but.....its got me thinking again!

Hanshi, depends on what buck you are shooting, in my 26 years of that type of work we started out with the regular 9 pellet stuff, agreed beyond 10-15 yards it was a manure shoot. Went to the Law enforcement 8 pellet reduced recoil Remington loads, 25 yards all 8 in the chest area of a man-sized target, 25 yards shot through an empty 55 gal. drum good stuff there. Never had a reason to doubt it would get the job done if needed, thankfully never had to use it on another person.

Here it is a very intensive journey to obtain one, funny how your firearms regulations are so strict and not so much for a suppressor. Very regulated here.

Always enjoy your posts. Curious as to how much your foxes weigh . That one appears to perhaps be a bit larger than those around here. We have both gray and red ones.
Sometimes it's the camera lens tricking us.
15lb to 17lbs usually. Sometimes I get one approaching 20lbs.
Once, about 30 years ago now, I shot one that weighed 23lbs! Took three 222Rem rounds to stop him! H322 and Speer 50gn tnt.

Back