• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triumphant Jess.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went on another predator hunt with my worthless reproduction Big Ted the 10g today.
I fired two caps on the inserted rammer and then loaded up with 1.5oz #5 in the right barrel and forty count #4 buck shot in the left barrel.

I got into some thick timber and scrubby birch on the edge of some forestry. Sat down in the roots of a larch and started calling with the cold north westerly on my face.
After 40 minutes still nothing had come in so we got up and went rabbit stalking.
Eventually we bumped a rabbit and I shot it as it made for home. When the smoke cleared there was no rabbit! As I moved in it became apparent it had been shot entering its burrow so I unclipped Jess and let her try and dig it out.

It was to deep for her. It was dead I was sure. Jess would come to me whimpering before returning back to the hole. I called her off and we carried on.
As night fell and seeing anything at all got difficult it all went crazy.
From nowhere a fox came bowling onto us from a rise above us
Face and hands covered it wasn't sure what we were but bolted away anyway. I squeaked like a mouse and sure enough it reappeared around 45 yards plus on a small hill, we call them knobs, small hills.
In the failing light I could just see a long shape moving and then stop broadside to me.
I levelled Ted and fired. I heard pellets strike the ground and watched the fox move off but not at full speed!
Jess was going nuts now! She knew!! I slipped her and she was gone.
Nursing planta fasciitis I hobbled my way around the hill. Eventually I could hear Jess getting stuck in!
She had run the wounded fox down and was holding it there. Fox was soon dispatched and my attention was turned to Jess. This little dog had held a big dog fox all on her own for nearly ten minutes. They had run for 300yds.
20220305_185449.jpg

The 10g did an awesome job. The fox was nearly spent when I got there. It was to dark to do a thorough examination. I need to return and relive the moment. It all happened so quickly.
20220305_185246.jpg

I know you are holding thhat fox towards the camera and that makes it a bit bigger but wow that is a big fox. Alive it is 2x the size of jess? That is a huge heart jess has to tangle with that and winning for 10 minutes! Hope that is fox blood on jess's head and no major damage. Get you gitti up going a might quicker when you saw jess hanging on to that?

I know you are holding thhat fox towards the camera and that makes it a bit bigger but wow that is a big fox. Alive it is 2x the size of jess? That is a huge heart jess has to tangle with that and winning for 10 minutes! Hope that is fox blood on jess's head and no major damage. Get you gitti up going a might quicker when you saw jess hanging on to that?
Jess is fine but tired. Had roast chicken for supper, she ate more than me of it.
She knows she has done good.

Hope ahe got a nice bath out of her hard work as well. Maybe a rub down with a soft blanket by the fire or heater grate.
Well done both of you , What Breeds is Jess ? she sure has up and go in her breeding and a strong hunting instinct .
My Springers get a swim in the river after a hard days hunting , their usual feed of dog crackers and mutton , . They are usually dry by the time we get home . They have beds made from the bags coffee beans are imported in , filled with poly-prop off cuts , none of this soft blanket stuff , they react to a towel like it is some sort of commie plot . :) don't even mention a hose off 😁

Another fine hunt. I’m also curious what kinda dog Jess is. She reminds me of a terrier breed of some sort. I had a miniature schnauzer once that wasn’t afraid of anything!

As I moved in it became apparent it had been shot entering its burrow so I unclipped Jess and let her try and dig it out.
Good for Jess. My grandfather raised Dachshunds and they would chase rabbits down their borrow like in your video clip. He would always grab his dogs by the tail and pull them out before they got too far down the rabbit hole. Guess their reverse gear was the concern. At least that is how I remember things.

Another fine hunt. I’m also curious what kinda dog Jess is. She reminds me of a terrier breed of some sort. I had a miniature schnauzer once that wasn’t afraid of anything!
Jess is a whippet cross, we don't know what her dam was crossed with but definitely whippet. The sire was a Bedlington terrier..
She is only 13" to the shoulder. I call them micro lurcher. In short we call them beddiwhippets.
Interestingly, my wife and I were away the other weekend and we bumped into some walkers with a black whippet and Jess made a big fuss over it. I realised Jess thought it was her mother! She was black. We were quite moved by it.
Schnauzers are fun characters.
Met a family with a standard Poodle x giant Shnauzer the other weekend. It was huge!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Back