• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The disaster, the elation and the shame!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been predator hunting this past week. I found where a dog fox was lying up and in the week had a misfire on him!
I visited twice more and I never saw him but knew he was in the overgrown hole with lots of wind blown timber down.
Then yesterday it all changed. A storm arrived in the afternoon. I dug out some old eley primers that I remove the anvil from and crimp the cap so they sit on a nipple secure. They are very potent. I didn't want another misfire from my normally reliable 10g.
I entered the pit hole very very slowly. The wind on my face and the sun illuminating where its lair is. I scanned every step.
I hadn't been in there long when something drew my eye. Across the marshy bottom no more than 17yds there he was. I had disturbed him but with the storm it was confused and it was staring into the sun trying to work me out.

I slowly got the 10g cocked and leveled on the side on fox. I loosed the left barrel loaded with #4 buck.
This is when the disaster started!
You would think wouldn't you that 20 count #4 buck shot at 15 yards would of pulverised Mr fox wouldn't you? But it didn't! Recoil was none existent!
The fox arched up, lunged forward and I frantically like a novice attempted to shoot again without the right barrels hammer cocked!
By the time I did get the second barrel off it was a futile shot!
I reloaded. I pondered the first shot. I think the powder is damp! The gun has been powdered for over a week and I think it needed fresh. The power was certainly down.

What followed next was 2 hours plus looking for blood and searching.
I found three leaves with blood on them and that was it!View attachment 118255
I did not have Jess with me, I should of gone and got her.
Feeling disappointed I discharged the gun and went home, incidentally the reloaded gun felt much stronger!

All night I was troubled so first thing Sunday morning I was there for fist light. No wind and a little frost. I had Jess and encouraging her she picked up a scent and followed a line. This gave me hope.
Eventually after a few attempts we ended up in a wooded slang of trees, beech, chestnuts and maples when I notice Jess take off on a line nose to the ground. Next was her growling that sounded like sweet music to my ears. She had found it!
View attachment 118256
I don't know what went wrong with the shot but do suspect damp powder. As many know, no oil goes in my breaches at all!
Just one buckshot passed through its chest and one through the flesh of a foreleg.
I am glad I got him but it was a shameful affair! Had I just used #5 or #4 shot it would of worked out much better!
View attachment 118257
Good kill. Good follow-up to find it, too. Perserverence pays off.

Britsmoothy, what do you do with the foxes you kill?

Spence
They are left Spence.
I understand how that may sound repulsive to many.
There is no demand for fur any more. Fur garments have been stigmatised here for decades now.
The country is over run with fox. They can upset local wildlife by hunting everything especially ground nesting birds and not just gamebirds. Usually the big ones start to take lambs and chickens, farm geese and piglets.

They are now living in towns. Many are caught. Home owners don't want them destroyed so the contractors transport them to the country and release them. This is cruel and borderline illegal but it happens.
I'm afraid they rot Spence but I do see more variation of wildlife on my places than most around me.
That said within ten days they are replaced! It's a never ending job.
The shepherd here, old chap. He would tell of if a ewe got stuck on its back in the night by morning it would be a skeleton! That was before I arrived here, 30years ago now.
I'm sorry if it is offensive. As I get older it gets harder. I do admire the fox. Some are extremely smart. I have a vixen now that out smarts me all the time. She is one of many that have out smarted me over the years.
Long live Charlie, when I'm gone, they'll still be here!

Britsmoothy,
Thanks for that video.
Around here they get left also, no demand for skins for the same reason.
We even have folk who want to protect the fox and their idea of conservation of small native prey animals is to sterelise the fox then let them go free.
As someone remarked
“…the fox doesn’t want to fornicate but masticate”.

Britsmoothy,
Thanks for that video.
Around here they get left also, no demand for skins for the same reason.
We even have folk who want to protect the fox and their idea of conservation of small native prey animals is to sterelise the fox then let them go free.
As someone remarked
“…the fox doesn’t want to fornicate but masticate”.
Unfortunately for Charlie. When he encounters enclosed stock he can't help himself to just one. They will kill much but just take one.
It is an unfortunate trait.

They are left Spence.
I understand how that may sound repulsive to many.
There is no demand for fur any more. Fur garments have been stigmatised here for decades now.
The country is over run with fox. They can upset local wildlife by hunting everything especially ground nesting birds and not just gamebirds. Usually the big ones start to take lambs and chickens, farm geese and piglets.

They are now living in towns. Many are caught. Home owners don't want them destroyed so the contractors transport them to the country and release them. This is cruel and borderline illegal but it happens.
I'm afraid they rot Spence but I do see more variation of wildlife on my places than most around me.
That said within ten days they are replaced! It's a never ending job.
The shepherd here, old chap. He would tell of if a ewe got stuck on its back in the night by morning it would be a skeleton! That was before I arrived here, 30years ago now.
I'm sorry if it is offensive. As I get older it gets harder. I do admire the fox. Some are extremely smart. I have a vixen now that out smarts me all the time. She is one of many that have out smarted me over the years.
Long live Charlie, when I'm gone, they'll still be here!
Same as here in Australia. Although now we get a bounty for the scalps in my state.

Foxes here aren't that common. There was one place I hunted for a while that the owner said there was a red fox on the place and it will let you know that being up a tree doesn't fool it. Sure enough, first time I hunted there (deer) I see the fox walking the deer trail. It stops right under me and looks up right at me. Like "yeah, I see you." Then went on its way. I always looked forward to our little ritual after that.

Congratulations on finding the fox! Some people give up way to soon.
The natural question would seem to be, if the fox is just going to be left to rot were it fell, why is it at all important to make sure to stick with the search until it is found?

Spence

The natural question would seem to be, if the fox is just going to be left to rot were it fell, why is it at all important to make sure to stick with the search until it is found?

Spence
The alternative would be to shrug my shoulders and not care whether it is suffering etc.
My next natural question is, are you offended by this activity?

Great job Brit and Jess!
Our fox seem to go in cycles, usually up when coyotes are down. A few years ago my hogs all started going crazy and I could hear a piglet screaming. Ran behind the barn and saw a fox had one of the 3-4 week old piglets. It was not able to carry it, but was trying to drag it. I'm all the commotion it never noticed me. Once dispatched I tossed him to the sows and converted fox to bacon. Piglet was returned to momma unharmed. Piglets are apparently tougher than chickens.

I've been predator hunting this past week. I found where a dog fox was lying up and in the week had a misfire on him!
I visited twice more and I never saw him but knew he was in the overgrown hole with lots of wind blown timber down.
Then yesterday it all changed. A storm arrived in the afternoon. I dug out some old eley primers that I remove the anvil from and crimp the cap so they sit on a nipple secure. They are very potent. I didn't want another misfire from my normally reliable 10g.
I entered the pit hole very very slowly. The wind on my face and the sun illuminating where its lair is. I scanned every step.
I hadn't been in there long when something drew my eye. Across the marshy bottom no more than 17yds there he was. I had disturbed him but with the storm it was confused and it was staring into the sun trying to work me out.

I slowly got the 10g cocked and leveled on the side on fox. I loosed the left barrel loaded with #4 buck.
This is when the disaster started!
You would think wouldn't you that 20 count #4 buck shot at 15 yards would of pulverised Mr fox wouldn't you? But it didn't! Recoil was none existent!
The fox arched up, lunged forward and I frantically like a novice attempted to shoot again without the right barrels hammer cocked!
By the time I did get the second barrel off it was a futile shot!
I reloaded. I pondered the first shot. I think the powder is damp! The gun has been powdered for over a week and I think it needed fresh. The power was certainly down.

What followed next was 2 hours plus looking for blood and searching.
I found three leaves with blood on them and that was it!View attachment 118255
I did not have Jess with me, I should of gone and got her.
Feeling disappointed I discharged the gun and went home, incidentally the reloaded gun felt much stronger!

All night I was troubled so first thing Sunday morning I was there for fist light. No wind and a little frost. I had Jess and encouraging her she picked up a scent and followed a line. This gave me hope.
Eventually after a few attempts we ended up in a wooded slang of trees, beech, chestnuts and maples when I notice Jess take off on a line nose to the ground. Next was her growling that sounded like sweet music to my ears. She had found it!
View attachment 118256
I don't know what went wrong with the shot but do suspect damp powder. As many know, no oil goes in my breaches at all!
Just one buckshot passed through its chest and one through the flesh of a foreleg.
I am glad I got him but it was a shameful affair! Had I just used #5 or #4 shot it would of worked out much better!
View attachment 118257
Great photo and what a beautiful fox. Good job. So what will you do with it being it's not filled with lead?

Foxes here aren't that common. There was one place I hunted for a while that the owner said there was a red fox on the place and it will let you know that being up a tree doesn't fool it. Sure enough, first time I hunted there (deer) I see the fox walking the deer trail. It stops right under me and looks up right at me. Like "yeah, I see you." Then went on its way. I always looked forward to our little ritual after that.
I had 2 under my tree, last year. They kept growling and looking at me, but they also kept on digging up and eating field mice. I was hunting deer and I ignored them. 5 minutes after they left I shot a huge buck. lol

My next natural question is, are you offended by this activity?
No, I'm not offended, I'm just curious. I think you and I have casually discussed this before, Brits, and that you know I don't shoot predators unless they have my chicken in their mouth. I was just curious as to why you never miss an opportunity to kill a fox. I have long been aware of the problem with foxes in your country, have seen many pictures of them in the back yards and gardens of city folks. That doesn't really seem to be interfering with your ability to get whatever game you go after. I've rarely seen anyone more successful in their hunting, so the idea of foxes eating all the game so you can't find any wouldn't seem to be the problem. I thought you might be shooting them for their pelts, but I guess that's not the case. So, if they aren't eating all your game, you can't eat them, and you can't sell the fur...why shoot them?

Spence

Back