• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The disaster, the elation and the shame!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Th
The interior of Aussie land sounds like a wonderful place to me.
How I ended up on this piddly crowded island I will never understand!

a) The interior of Australia is known as the GABBA , Great Australian Bugger All , the edges are lovely the interior is the same for miles and miles and miles etc
2) Your great great grandfather wasn't a poacher 😁

Th
The interior of Aussie land sounds like a wonderful place to me.
How I ended up on this piddly crowded island I will never understand!

Despite what you read nowadays its still a good life away from the cities here, we're left alone and go about our different lifestyle, Firearms are at hand and considered no big deal everyones responsible and considerate.

I live well off the grid and am more than content, the other day I was sitting on my neighbours verandah (about 2 kms away) chatting with him about the Covid BS and said jokingly "but its the law mate" to which he replied "what Law" as he pointedly looked around LOL. Think about it, if things keep deteriorating most of "the Law" will be busy in the cities, and they're welcome to it.

a) The interior of Australia is known as the GABBA , Great Australian Bugger All , the edges are lovely the interior is the same for miles and miles and miles etc
I understand there is a mountain range inland somewhere. I remember a TV programme about it. Looked idyllic.

I doubt it, I think most probably they are barn cats from up the road. They live wild and the barn is their home base.
Robby
Wild cats , actually cats in general , can carry a most unpleasant parasitic disease called Toxoplasmosis , They spread it in their feces . Cats like hay barns because rats and mice like hay barns . They poop in the hay and rats as well as humans can catch the disease . It has been found that rats with toxoplasmosis are unafraid of cats and humans likewise infected can become obsessed with cats , hence cat ladies with dozens of cats . Toxoplasmosis can be cured so it is not all bad , avoidance is better than treatment .

I understand there is a mountain range inland somewhere. I remember a TV programme about it. Looked idyllic.

Theres plenty of Mountain ranges in Australia, but the main one is the Great Divide that runs down North to South of eastern Australia.

I heard an Aussie bragging about how his great grandfather landed in Australia with 200 pounds to his name. A hundred # attached to each leg…

Actually the transportation of Convicts to Australia was ended before 1840, and as early as the First Fleet Convicts were being given "Ticket of Leave" release and encouraged to take up land grants, particularly under the Governor Lachlan Macquarie as early as 1810.

We Australians are really proud of our Convict past, have you heard of the Architect Francis Greenway ?
https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/stories/francis-greenway-convict-architect

Last edited:
Out for a walk in the back forty one day I hear the familiar sound of turkeys over a rise just in front of me, so I hunkered down and crept up to the crest and poked my head over. Not more than ten yards away were three huge tom turkeys clustered up tight with one another, feathers all puffed out, and sounding ****** off. They looked at me, I looked where they had been looking and an equal distance away was a big old cat, crouched and looking like it was ready to do battle. The cat looks over to where the Toms attention hat been diverted, me, and lit out of there like, well, a scalded cat! The Toms' combed their feathers back smooth and calmly walked away making sounds that made me think they were being pretty smug about the predicament I had got them out of. There was no season open at the time, although I usually have some form of weaponry with me, I was completely unarmed and the cat left unscathed.
Robby

Around here a feral cat is any cat a half mile from the nearest house.
I’ve taken a few with the 20 gauge flinter but most with a .220 Swift., the ones that I got with the 20 ga. were as surprised as me when we met, it was always when I was stalking something else.
Definition of a feral cat in my books is one not inside its owners house yard.....

Out for a walk in the back forty one day I hear the familiar sound of turkeys over a rise just in front of me, so I hunkered down and crept up to the crest and poked my head over. Not more than ten yards away were three huge tom turkeys clustered up tight with one another, feathers all puffed out, and sounding ****** off. They looked at me, I looked where they had been looking and an equal distance away was a big old cat, crouched and looking like it was ready to do battle. The cat looks over to where the Toms attention hat been diverted, me, and lit out of there like, well, a scalded cat! The Toms' combed their feathers back smooth and calmly walked away making sounds that made me think they were being pretty smug about the predicament I had got them out of. There was no season open at the time, although I usually have some form of weaponry with me, I was completely unarmed and the cat left unscathed.
Robby
That would of been a interesting fight, I am putting my dinero on the turkeys.

Back