• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The correct way of loading a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintkeeper

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good morning everybody!

Could you please enlighten a newbie on how to correctly load a smoothbore (with a ball AND some shot, not at once, of course)?

Thanks in advance!

All the best, Flintfan :thanks:

LOADINGSEQUENCE1.jpg

For roundball, you measure out the powder (don't know what gun you have so I won't quote a load) and pour it down the barrel... (some people tap the side of their barrel with the palm of their hand to settle the powder in the breech area)

Next, take a lubed patch and center it over the muzzle, start a round ball with either a ball starter or your thumb...

Run the ball down on top of the powder in short, smooth strokes, don't grab the ramrod at the tip and expect to run the ball down in one stroke, if you have a wooden rod, this will break it and run it through your hand...

Once the ball in on top of the powder, tap it a few times with the rod to make sure it's seated firmly, (a good tip it to mark you ramrod at this level, that will let you know the ball is seated in the same place each time for this particular powder charge)

Here is the tricky part, many people forget: remove the ramrod and put it back where it goes... (yes, people do shoot their ramrods down range)

Now all that is left to do is to prime and shoot...

my brother used to make us up cartrige loads for bird shot by taking plain brown wraping paper and gluing it around the card and wad, filling it with shot and folding the end shut. It works great for hunting. :front:

You might find you get better accuracy by using the same over poawder wad, lubed cushion wad and then a patched rd ball. I save a step by gluing the over powder wad and cushion wad together before lubing the cushion wad.

Rebel,
:hmm: now there's a thought. :thanks: for the
tip..
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

You mean about gluing them together? I have been posting that quite regular for a while now. It works well for me. One less step in the loading sequence. :front:

howdy thar rebel i m perty new at this running throo tha woods wyth a gun with a rock tyed to it an i see alot of folks talkin bout tha lowds fer a gun an not much bout the prymin ey myt be pootin too much

ugly snayk

Well, a lot of us find that the less the better when it comes to primin'. Enough to cover the bottom of the pan, but not enough to get in the way of the vent hole. Also, try to keep it to the outer side of the pan if possible. While hunting a shake of the wrist to settle it to the outside works. Hope this helps. Have fun. By the way, ya ain't related to that Snake Eyes fella are ye? ::

Thanks Harrys
That was or is a great web site... Thanks again... Best regards :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Loyalist Dawg

I would like to thank you all Gentlemen!

I sure learned a lot. Again, thanks! :hatsoff:

Yrs truly,

Flintfan

Shotgun wads are, or should be, a pretty tight fit in the bore to seal properly. They you say to wrap a couple of layers of brown paper around that already tight fitting wad? Then you ram that down by pushing on the paper cylinder of shot???
I don't see how that could work unless you start with 16ga. wads in a 12 bore. :shake:

You would not wrap the wad in paper -- only the shot. The shot cartridge is placed on top of the wad and they are only pressed home together.

CS

Latest posts

Back